Featured Not sure what this is or when it was made

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by AzWifenMom, Jul 19, 2021.

1. AzWifenMom

AzWifenMom Active Member

I have tried to find something that even slightly looks likes this. My Google image search comes up as an egg dish. Does anyone have any ideas for me?
    Thank you for all your help everyone.

webquestion 1.jpg webquestion 2.jpg webquestion 3.jpg

2. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Toothpick holder?

3. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

Is it painted white glass or porcelain can you tell?
    Some indication of size as including measurements is a good idea. Nobody can be sure if it's the size of a 5 gallon bucket or a thimble! :joyful:

pearlsnblume and komokwa like this.
  4. AzWifenMom

AzWifenMom Active Member

Oh my goodness, sorry. Lack of info.
    Measures 2.25" tall and 2" diameter.
    It looks and feels like glass

pearlsnblume and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  5. AzWifenMom

AzWifenMom Active Member

I have to admit, it would make a pretty bucket, lol
    It almost feels like a milk glass type

6. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

7. LauraGarnet02

Great perfect ID as usual @TallCakes ! Since you posted this and the WorthPoint link seller identified the glass as Peach Blow, was the seller correct? And does that mean @AzWifenMom 's is Peach Blow?

I thought the peachy pink color on the outside was painted on, but PeachBlow must mean that it's a thin layer of pink glass over the white glass?

I suppose you've explained this a thousand times so sorry if it gets boring for you.:shame::joyful:

I found this page while I was searching for how to identify PeachBlow and thought @AzWifenMom might like this link:
    http://www.mtwashingtonglass.com/colonial-ware-line-from-mount-washington-glass/

pearlsnblume and TallCakes like this.
  8. TallCakes

@LauraGarnet02 that would be a great questions for the folks at Mt Washington glass. To me the OP's images and those at WP look like painted surfaces. It's not always easy to determine from photo images alone, and there seems to be significant variations in peachblow glass. It's interesting to note this quotation: "In most cases though, you just have to know the shapes of glass made by Mount Washington." Seems to infer that with Mt Washington glass the shape may also be a determining factor. Maybe the OP can contact the Mt Washington glass folks as there is contact info on most of their web pages.

Peach Blow Glass by Mount Washington | Mount Washington Glass (mtwashingtonglass.com)

DizzyDaff likes this.
  9. LauraGarnet02

Thanks for your reply @TallCakes

I know how it is with online seller descriptions, sometimes it's to the best of their knowledge, sometimes wishful thinking and sometimes just hype.

I was curious to know if it passed the smell test with you, LOL.

The peach blow page at the Mount Washington site wasn't very illuminating, but I popped back here to post the link to the colonial ware page for AZ. I still haven't found a good explanation for peach blow on white glass.

I am assuming that OP's glass piece must be glued to the brass mount. I sure am curious if that little piece of glass has a Mount Washington mark on the bottom, but I think it would be foolish to try and force it off or some such thing.

10. AzWifenMom

AzWifenMom Active Member

Thank you Thank you Thank you!
    I always learn so much on this site.
    I also blushed, lol, peach blow, lol
    So does the description of peach blow refer to the color or the also the technique? The one I have is a more brown color. I will check out the links that were provided for more information.

11. AzWifenMom

AzWifenMom Active Member

12. TallCakes

new twist... took it upon myself to contact the MW folks and the response was this is Wave Crest; but that doesn't explain the similarities and MW marks on the EAPGs.net piece. None the less FWIW here are other WP pieces noted as WAVECREST
    SCARCE Wavecrest NAKARA American Art Tooth Pick Holder W Pink Flowers! | #1875012238 (worthpoint.com)
    wavecrest c f monroe small vase toothpick holder | #29126807 (worthpoint.com)

I do seem to notice that those noted as Monroe 'Nakara' do appear to flare out a bit at the top, whereas those noted as MW Colonial seem straight. So perhaps the OP piece is Nakara

Pattern Details - NAKARA (OMN) (eapgs.net)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
  13. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

WTG @TallCakes!! :wideyed::wideyed::happy::happy:

I knew that Wavecrest did sell other pieces but I always just think about their dresser boxes. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Maybe @Kronos or @Iowa Jayhawk can give us the results of the Worthpoint. :happy::happy:

Hopefully, @AzWifenMom comes back to see that you have solved the mystery. :happy:

14. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

Worthpoint links: $306 (2017) - $290 (2007).

15. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Peachblow is the name applied to a heat sensitive glass. It contains gold in chemical solution, when the glass is made it cools somewhat and reheating it changes the gold from an amber color to a rosy red color. Selective reheating is responsible for the shading from one color to another. The is only done on one layer glass. It is not done on white or transparent clear glass.

I dunno about Worthpoint, but Mt Washington toothpicks, (the above is a toothpick, not from Mt. Washington) toothpicks do go that high and higher, but the ones similar to the piece above do not. With that stand it might reach $75, without $30. I'm realistic, no longer selling glass.

bercrystal and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  16. LauraGarnet02

Thank you @Cherryhill ! That certainly clears everything up and makes it plain and easier to understand.

I hope @AzWifenMom gets back soon for all the new info posted by tallcakes and you.

bercrystal likes this.
  17. AzWifenMom

AzWifenMom Active Member

Am I seeing that little toothpick holder is worth more than $300?

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  18. AzWifenMom

AzWifenMom Active Member

Thank you so much for the information. I always learn so much from everyone.

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted