Featured NOT Wardell and Kempson 1809 Silver Pin Dish :-)

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Squidsworth, May 24, 2019.

1. Squidsworth

Squidsworth Active Member

Hi all,
    I have recently acquired this gorgeous tiny 27g pin tray which I think is wardell and Kempson, Birmingham 1809. I believe it's .925 silver of the time. It's about 4.5 by 3 inch.
    What do you call the edge decoration on this? Also it's missing a duty mark is that normal or were they dodging the tax man? Lol. I can find various examples of w&k work but not a pin dish like this. Could it be worth anything? Also it has 5/- inscribed on the rear, 5 shillings obviously but could this be of the time out later added?
    Any other information also appreciated.
    Thanks
    Paul.
    IMG-20190524-WA0007.jpg IMG-20190524-WA0006.jpg IMG-20190524-WA0008.jpg IMG-20190524-WA0005.jpg

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Figtree3, komokwa, kyratango and 4 others like this.
  3. Squidsworth

Oh yes! I'm beginning to think W&K might be something else now, back to look at the makers I guess. W. something .K ?

scoutshouse likes this.
  4. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

66EE2B8E-76E5-454F-88F9-97B03EE53B37.jpeg Might be W G Keight?

komokwa, scoutshouse and Bakersgma like this.
  5. Squidsworth

Could be, here's the best I can get it...
    _20190524_154309.JPG

6. Bakersgma

Given that the latest close-up image shows that there should be "dots" following both the W and the middle letter, I'm going with Houseful's suggestion. The list of items found with Keight's mark also includes appropriate wares.

scoutshouse likes this.
  7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Hmmm. And yet those dots are so large & clear & there isn't one after the K. Also, the one after the middle character is so out of line. It's odd, I agree, but before I read on to the point made about the dots, I was ready to say that the ambiguous character definitely looks like a form of an ampersand, sort of like this, except with the T on top of the E: ετ

8. Squidsworth

I have to say I'm taking a leap of faith with middle character being G but hard to put the mark down to anything else. I don't think there is anything just w&k except wardell and Kempson which we now know is wrong period. That said it's quite off cue for what seems a good maker but maybe it's due to its tiny dimensions?

Bronwen likes this.
  9. Bakersgma

Whoever applied the stamp had a serious problem getting it all on in one go.

komokwa, Aquitaine and Bronwen like this.
  10. Squidsworth

Not half! Does anyone know how to describe the border and what market was such miniatures aimed at? Is it for children or would it really have had a use such as putting buttons or pins on it?

11. Bronwen

For the butler to bring in visiting cards to milady?

komokwa and Aquitaine like this.
  12. Bronwen

Could it be W.E.K?

13. Bakersgma

Bronwen likes this.
  14. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Bronwen likes this.
  15. Bakersgma

That's the one Houseful showed above - Keight.

Bronwen likes this.
  16. Squidsworth

Probable never know for sure but safe bet is w.g.k for Keight. On the plus side I can't find another example so it might be rare if not overly valuable! Onto my painting now... I'll post that in another category. :)

Bronwen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted