Featured Nymphenburg horse age - unusual mark and lack of backstamp

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Andere, Mar 20, 2024.

1. Andere

Andere New Member

Hi! I snagged this beauty online recently and after it arrived realized it's apparently without a backstamp and has a hand-scratched mold number, and no artist number. It's also the apparent rarer (older?) of the two variations on this mold. Apparently Nymphenburg now charges $180 to submit questions for their archive department, and I'm 55 miles from the nearest library, so I'm hoping someone here can help me!
    I know this is a T Karner Arab #457, one of his earlier sculptures, and suspect it's an early factory model not meant for sale. Based on other google searches it was put into production in 1908? 09? and in 1910 Nymphenburg went to their green ink backstamp from the previous blue. So... a wild guess is this may have been produced in the factory as a reference model or proof in 1910 when they were in the midst of changing marks.

Either way I like it and don't intend to sell - I'm just curious if my theory about multiple versions of this mold and this one being on the older end is correct, and if someone who has a print copy of a Nymphenburg collector's guide might be able to take a look for me. Thank you!

IMG_20240228_171924795.jpg
    IMG_20240303_083844712.jpg IMG_20240228_171900771.jpg IMG_20240303_083902307.jpg

For comparison, here is the current version: https://www.erbutler.com/products/nymphenburg/animals/horses/01082.pdf

judy, Figtree3, mirana and 3 others like this.
  2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

@Andere , I see you joined 10 days ago. Welcome! Nobody has replied to your specialized question yet... I'm going to tag a few people who have commented here on Nymphenburg items in other threads in the past. Some might have reference books that could help, or knowledge of the manufacturer gathered through their research.
    @Rclinftl
    @moreotherstuff
    @say_it_slowly
    @John Brassey
    @Chris Marshall

3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Afraid I lack any expertise to advance the research you've already done (very thorough}. I've run into that archive charge as well, and declined to go further.

judy likes this.
  4. lvetterli

lvetterli Well-Known Member

What a lovely thing! Afraid I'm no help but I do love it!

Linda

judy likes this.
  5. Andere

Andere New Member

Thank you all, I still hope to learn more someday and appreciate the replies here!

kentworld, Aquitaine and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted