Featured Oak buffet sideboard?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Losobug, Jun 12, 2021.

1. Losobug

Losobug New Member

A1030016-F1A3-46BD-97EF-0ED928BBB1B4.jpeg 1225F1DD-ED8D-4F1C-AB8F-405D20A95886.jpeg A8668C1F-66F5-414C-AB20-07AA3B92B5DE.jpeg AA874363-3D3F-4A89-A9D6-D1DC195AC751.jpeg View attachment 333191 Hello, I got this piece from Facebook marketplace. I love it but just wondering the age and what it is called exactly. Don’t laugh, I’m new at this

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
  2. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

3. Losobug

Losobug New Member

I was also wondering what the style of leg might be called? I googled furniture legs and found every shape except those thank you.

4. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

James Conrad likes this.
  5. Losobug

Losobug New Member

Thanks, those do look pretty similar.

6. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Losobug, Ghopper1924 and Roaring20s like this.
  7. Losobug

Losobug New Member

James Conrad likes this.
  8. James Conrad

Yes, the Tudor period is an interesting part of English history.
    The exploration of America and the plays of William Shakespeare. During the sixteenth century, England emerged from the medieval world & the English Renaissance began. It was a time of great change, most notably it marked the end of the Catholic church in England.
    The furniture was pretty cool too. :happy:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
  9. Losobug

Losobug New Member

Thanks for the history lesson. The sideboard and I live in Oregon. My son is the history buff here maybe he’ll appreciate my furniture now with some history behind it..lol. By this pieces appearance and has those tiny fine dovetails in the drawers can you guess an age for it? It does have flathead screws on the hinges though so maybe not so old.‍♀️ It is cool though.

James Conrad likes this.
  10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

As above. English Art Deco. Roughly 1908 to 1935 in Britain. I'd think later rather than earlier for your piece and could well be from the early 1940s.

Debora

Roaring20s, James Conrad and Losobug like this.
  11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Roaring20s' link above will take you to other examples.

Debora

Losobug likes this.
  12. James Conrad

Those narrow dovetails are typical of English work, some claim England resisted the industrial (steam) power in their furniture-making world and continued making hand-cut drawer boxes until the 1930s, I don't doubt it.

Agrees, guesses 1920s - 1930s on your sideboard.
    Wishes the forum had an English furniture guy/gal regular but, we don't.
    Maybe @daveydempsey could ask his antique furniture dealer friend.

It's a nice sideboard, it's got the waterfall thingy going along with tudor/elizabethan design elements combined in a very attractive way and looks to be in very good condition. Plus, it's antique or nearly so.

Ghopper1924 and Losobug like this.
  13. James Conrad

One other thing I'd mention although it'll probably upset some, the rose motif carved into the wood and cast on the hardware as well, is probably a stylized version of a "tudor rose".
    There was a civil war in England in the mid 15th century called the "War of the Roses", one side represented by a red rose, the other side by a white rose.
    Henry VII won this war and united the 2 sides and thus began the House of Tudor.
    Bottom line is the Rose thingy was kinda a big deal back in the day.

Tudor Rose
    1024px-Tudor_Rose.svg.png

Losobug likes this.
  14. Losobug

Losobug New Member

You guys confirmed my uneducated guesses about this piece that I learned from google lens It is in very nice condition except for a couple of gouges and a big Z scratch..lol..thanks again.

Ghopper1924 and James Conrad like this.
  15. Paul Anty

Paul Anty New Member

Those handles are certainly from the 1940’s. Made in England.
    The handles are certainly from the 1940’s. Made in the UK. I love that carving. So clear and distinctive. What a beast of a sideboard! Nice

Ghopper1924, Losobug and James Conrad like this.
  16. Losobug

Losobug New Member

It is a beast. I love all the carving and those cute handles. It was the flowers that sold me thanks for the info.

James Conrad likes this.
  17. Fern77

Fern77 Well-Known Member

How typical of British Art Deco to look back to, in this case, Tudor instead of, say, Egyptian or Classical themes as the rest of the bunch.
    Great find--has 'presence'

Losobug likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted