Featured Oak Cabinet Desk Repair Suggestions

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by KikoBlueEyes, Apr 26, 2021.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I bought this desk today with the idea of repairing it by filling in the cracks in the veneer with some wood putty, sanding down the slight raised sections, staining the top and putting on a finish layer. That was until I discovered it was a oak cabinet desk and saw the prices they fetch. So I decided to ask all for your suggestions on repair to see if I could do a better job. The desk is 50 inches x 30 inches x 30 inches. The rest of the desk is in good condition.

00000_jQxTgtwLLFqz_0ww0oo_600x450.jpg 00b0b_joA4wzFJdNUz_0ww0oo_600x450.jpg 00N0N_8MtRddzsHbbz_0ww0oo_600x450.jpg 00O0O_jL71wW2LgJEz_0ww0oo_600x450.jpg 00909_14y5VXEbdxgz_0ww0oo_600x450.jpg 01313_V80r7NM2iKz_0ww0oo_600x450.jpg

2. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

I'd leave it as is and start using it. ;)

3. KikoBlueEyes

I would like to stop more damage by sealing up the edge. It also needs a good cleaning and has to be reassembled. It comes apart in sections (one reason I bought it.)

4. KikoBlueEyes

pearlsnblume and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

clean it and polish, or lightly oil it....... I would do no more than that..

6. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

That's a nice desk!

For the light patches on top if they are water stains you can try a hairdryer on them, go steady and rub with a soft cloth while doing it, this will often make it much better.

If the edges are lifting and you are worried they may catch and break then there is nothing wrong with gluing them up. Use a quality wood glue and a thin shim to push the glue as deep as you can then clamp the work (make sure to use wood or leather packers on the clamps so you don't marr the original surface). Wipe off squeeze out, and when it's set any excess will peel/rub off fairly easy. It's not hard to do even if you are a novice.

The lateral shrinkage splits on the top are normal, so unless they are bothering you I would leave them. If you want to lessen them just use a wax stick as it won't harm anything and is easily reversible. After that use a quality paste wax every couple of months for the first couple of years and this will continue to fill and soften the splits.

7. KikoBlueEyes

Komo. Thank you for looking at the desk. You seem to agree with Roaring20s. I'll get a better feel as I clean it. This is what they did with the bigger desk, as a friend of mine pointed out. OK. I'll put away my sander. :)

8. KikoBlueEyes

Ce. Thanks for your detailed and careful examination and recommendations. I very much appreciate it. I recently renovated a room and purchased this desk as a work surface for projects and to replace some miscellaneous carts. I had looked at least a hundred desks in the last 2 months before choosing this one, though it was damaged. Since I know it is special now, I will use a lighter hand. I have never tried to repair veneer always taking it to a restoration place. I will try your suggestion on how to repair the lifting, as well as your other advice.
    Thanks for replying at length and with such detail. Kiko

komokwa and Ce BCA like this.
  9. KikoBlueEyes

@James Conrad I know this is not your thing or period, but you may have run across this kind of damage and might have a suggestion.

komokwa likes this.
  10. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Best repair is to splice in pieces of similar veneer. Getting those nails out without doing further damage might be difficult. Might do best to either try grinding the heads off or driving them deeper in to where they could be veneered over.

11. KikoBlueEyes

Thank you very much! This would be over my head, but I could price it at the local restoration place.

komokwa and pearlsnblume like this.
  12. Gus Tuason

Gus Tuason Well-Known Member

Right on advice. You could try to to remove the nails with a very small screwdriver or a dental tool but personally, I would leave them. Eventually, someone might replace the veneer but I don't feel it's critical. You should however use a desktop pad if you are using it in order to minimize further damage. Beautiful desk.

13. KikoBlueEyes

Gus. Thank you much. Yes. It has to serve a purpose, so I can definitely protect it. I was planning on utilitarian, but can segue into protection.

komokwa, pearlsnblume and Ce BCA like this.
  14. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Well, you could do that but I doubt it would last.
    Veneer is tricky mostly because the substrate is damaged, in your case, the multi-board top has begun to separate causing the veneer to have gaps, among other things.
    Unless you deal with the substrate (wood below veneer) first, it's kinda pointless to even talk about repairing the veneer.
    If using for personal use, I'd get a large desk blotter & leave the desk be for now.:)

15. KikoBlueEyes

James. Thanks for weighing in. My goal is not to damage it further. I try to care for the pieces I own and my original goal was to buy a desk I could abuse because it had little long term value. I just couldn't do that, so I'll protect it and when I find some extra cash, I will take it to the restorer. Thank you.

16. James Conrad

I'd say the damage has been done somewhere along the way, it got wet, left out in the rain, the glue used to join the top boards together failed, bla bla bla.
    Bottom line is, something caused the multi-board top to fail, you won't damage it further by using it.

komokwa and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  17. KikoBlueEyes

I think the son who sold it to me was the one who left it out where the elements could get to it. His father have given it to him 5 years before. I think, perhaps, the son was disposing of the evidence. I appreciate your comment about more damage. I just didn't want to damage it further. Thank you.

James Conrad and komokwa like this.
  18. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

who'd a thunk that these things would be valued as they are. Fortunately (thanks to the modular design of these) it appears that the worst damage is limited to the top, which could be replaced if someone desired. These modular sets were made by several companies making furniture for schools and labs; Kewaunee is one company that comes to mind. They were designed in incremental dimensions with various options. This looks to be a standard school teachers desk, or perhaps library desk. Ran across one almost exact match with carved pulls:
    Vintage Oak Cabinet Desk for sale at Pamono

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  19. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

I just bought an 84" wide desk like this for my DIL for her birthday. It cost me $300. :oops:

KikoBlueEyes and James Conrad like this.
  20. James Conrad

Yeah, the bottom has dropped out of the desk market, kinda like dining room furniture.
    Still, if you need one, a good time to buy.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted