Oak Sideboard with Mirror - Advice needed?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by L0z, Jan 29, 2017.

1. L0z

L0z Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I am looking for any advice/info on this antique piece I recently came across. I have absolutely no experience in antique furniture, although I have attempted to identify it's period and estimated value - but haven't had much luck other than it's likely to be 19th century based on the fact that the drawers have 7 dovetails which I believe was introduced in the 19th century as apposed to the use of 2 dovetails pre-19 C?

I have read mixed views on the use of spiral columns & legs and also the hand carved features, which I am wondering, could that be at al significant to the maker, or the period....

All-in-all I'm pretty stumped on this and am none the wiser, and would really appreciate any help. I hope the photo's are adequate but could always provide more if required:)

Many thanks

.: L0z :.

-

001h.jpg 001f.jpg 001a.jpg 001d.jpg 001b.jpg 001e.jpg 001c.jpg 001g.jpg

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  2. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Can't help much with the actual piece, and while this may be called a dresser in the UK, it is usually called a sideboard in the states, so that in the title (if you can still edit) may get more "lookers".

Welcome to the forum!

3. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

@L0z
    Why are you using different IP addresses, your introduction was Plus-Net, Romford UK, your registration was SKY.com Walthamstow, UK and now this post is showing Total Server Solutions L.L.C. Los Angeles, USA.
    Have you something to hide ?

komokwa likes this.
  4. daveydempsey

Its a sideboard in the UK too, a dresser is much taller.

5. L0z

L0z Well-Known Member

My IP changes whenever i log on/off as my partner uses a VPN to watch her favourite TV shows that are not always accessible here in the UK. Nothing to hide and for the record my true IP address would be the Sky.com OR the Plus-net as my home Broadband is with Sky, my girlfriends is with Plus-net :)

komokwa likes this.
  6. L0z

L0z Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up, will change title to 'sideboard' :happy:

7. daveydempsey

Thanks for clarifying, we sometimes have people that try and infiltrate this forum that are banned or for other spurious reasons.:)

komokwa and L0z like this.
  8. Mansons2005

I
    I thought so, but was uncertain because the OP is there and I am here and things change and I didn't want to bother and boor people by typing a bunch of stuff that would have explained my point of view and maybe caused some confusion because I am not there and the OP is there and, oh hell...................................................

9. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

The spiral columns and legs are called Barley Twist. Common on English furniture.
    Late 1800s to early 1900s.
    Here in the states would be called a buffet, or side board used in a dining area. A dresser holds clothes and would be found in a bedroom.

L0z likes this.
  10. L0z

L0z Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info! Any idea of value? :)

11. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

English oak sideboard. I would think circa 1920 but some of the UK members might know better. Not too much value here in the States (couple hundred dollars, retail) and I believe similar over there.

12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Which sucks, cuz you'd expect a beautiful piece like this one would go for lots more......but as has been said here before....brown furniture is not in high demand ...at least not now.

PS... I love my brown furniture !

Aquitaine likes this.
  13. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

I'd call the style Jacobean Revival and date it to the early 1920s.

14. Poisonivy

Poisonivy Well-Known Member

I like brown furniture too, Here in the UK it hasn't been popular for some time though.
    Everything comes around again though :)

15. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I agree with af. It might be a maker called Olde Charm.

L0z likes this.
  16. L0z

L0z Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info guys! Had a look around at similar pieces, guess like with most things it depends where your situated in regards to the value. For example, I found a very similar piece being sold in Australia and it was listed for $1,400 AUD. Indeed here in the UK & US I'm looking at £200 MAX. It certainly does seem to be the case that brown furniture just isn't in fashion at the moment.

With this in mind, I think it quite justifies why we have seen an increase in restored furniture popping up in the Shabby Chic style & generally much lighter, brighter colours. I think it might be worth me doing something similar with the few items of furniture I have in stock. I have a beautiful solid oak extendable dining table, vintage 1950's-60's (approximately 7ft) As it is I'd be lucky to get £150 for it, however if I bring back the top to it's original light oak and shabby chic the base in a nice pearl white or something similar, from the research I've done I could be looking at making more around the £500 for it. Same with the sideboard, how elegant that might look in a bedroom restored in a white with diamante handles :rolleyes: I think it might be worth my while trying this method in order to get the best price?

Thanks again to all that replied. Your input is well perceived and very much appreciated :shame:

.:L0z:.

17. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Arggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh - no shabby chic!!!!!!!!!

L0z likes this.
  18. Mansons2005

Shabby Chic seems to have ALMOST run its course around here. No really sure WHAT Generation Z is into yet, but you can bet it is the exact opposite of what their predecessors, Millennials, wanted...........

19. L0z

L0z Well-Known Member

Ha ha I know what you mean, however I should of probably mentioned where I live 'ESSEX' which plays a significant role in my method - you see there is a stigma attached to anyone who comes from Essex. (I don't by the way, I just live here now as it's a slightly better place than where I was raised in the East End of London!!) Essex is well known for it's Blonde Women, Range Rover Sports, Handbag Sized Dogs & an Obsession with Aesthetics (if you get my drift) It's a place where there is money, but is often spent on anything TACKY, BLING, FAKE or just simply for appearance.

Shabby Chic in my opinion fits nicely into this criteria, hence it's exactly the style that people are into. Don't get me wrong, brown furniture might not be very popular at the moment but rest assured if the furniture I have was more desirable I wouldn't dream of doing such a thing, but the fact of the matter is, when you are looking at a difference between selling for £100-£200 and £400-£500 by simply adding a lick of paint, I don't think personal preference comes into it. You go with the market right? Anyway, I won't be referring to any furniture I may restore this way as 'shabby chic' - I will be simply describe it as something along the lines of 'Original 1920's, Modernised....etc etc' :rolleyes::smuggrin:

20. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Ah. Maybe white stiletto feet on it? ;)

I promise not to tell bad Essex girl jokes. Maybe.

L0z likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted