Featured Oak table age/origin

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by DVG, Aug 25, 2023.

1. DVG

DVG New Member

Hello All.
    I am hoping I may be able to get help identifying the age and origin of this table. I bought it from a woman who was selling items from her sister's estate. She didn't know much except that her sister was stationed in Germany and she bought this piece in Europe.
    Information:
    Oak wood
    Draw leaf with 2 pine boards
    31" tall
    47.5" length
    35.25" wide
    79.75" when extended
    Wood pegs for joinery.
    The draw rails have newer pine wood and screws added. There are also nails added at some point in the legs.

Thoughts?
    Thank you,
    Dawn

20230825_072822.jpg 20230825_074739.jpg 20230825_074945.jpg

2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Odd thing that definitely has some age to it. I don't think those wide oak stretchers at the bottom are original. Nor are the pine leaves. Also something odd going on at the ends with those wood tabs showing. Any chance the top sections are put on inside out?

johnnycb09, judy, DVG and 1 other person like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I was wondering the same.

judy and DVG like this.
  4. DVG

DVG New Member

The top could be inside out, it would explain the exposed tabs. Hmmmm….I didn’t think about the planks being added at a later date, which would explain the cabriole legs versus the more block style legs on similarly styled furniture. Thank you for your insight.

Born2it, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. DVG

DVG New Member

I took a closer look at the table, and I believe you are correct. The plank stretcher does appear to be an afterbuild addition (I would assume due to foot damage/rot). As far as the wood tabs, those run the length of the table top planks to the draw split.
    Also, I believe the table may have been longer and not originally a draw top. Rationale: There are open mortises on one end of the table, but not the other end. The legs on the side without the mortises are cracked/broken as though pulled apart and then repaired.
    In short, I have a Frankenstein table that was probably created with supplies on hand and a need for practical functionality. I am not sad by this finding...it is a unique one-of-a-kind table, I paid very little for it, and I like it.
    Thank you.
    20230827_101556.jpg 20230827_101856.jpg

Born2it, lovewrens and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is a sign that it was used and appreciated by former owners. A living table, so to speak.

7. DVG

DVG New Member

Yes! A perfect description..."living table."

Born2it and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted