Featured Obscure Bowl Inherited - Any information?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Peacekccpcr, Jul 27, 2019.

1. Peacekccpcr

Peacekccpcr New Member

Hello everyone!

I'm trying to figure out any information about a bowl that I received from my grandmother after she passed. I was given a box of things that had been given to her by either her parents or friends when they traveled abroad. This bowl was the only thing in there without any information and it's pretty different from anything I've come across trying to find information (though I might just be googling the wrong terms!).

The bowl itself is about the size of a small cereal bowl but looks hand painted on the inside. The paint does have texture to it, so it's not printed into it I'm guessing. There's no other distinguishing marks aside from a swirl emblem on the bottom. No signature of any kind that I can tell which means it might be mass produced? No sure. Any information about it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry if the swirl mark on the bottom of this is a little hard to see! I didn't want to draw over it digitally to make it pop in case someone was able to recognize the original!

2. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

I'm thinking Satsuma (Japan). I think the swirl rather than being a mark is from it being coiled pottery- hard to tell from the pic.

Mat, kyratango, judy and 5 others like this.
  3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Agree Satsuma Style bowl.
    Looks like one of the immortals, but I don't know which one.

Very nice bowl.
    Don't sell without getting more information.

Haven't seen any of these people lately
    @Mat @Silver Wolf @Asian Fever

KikoBlueEyes, Mat, kyratango and 4 others like this.
  4. Peacekccpcr

Peacekccpcr New Member

Thank you both for answering! Even narrowing down what 'family' it belongs to is more than I've had.

I definitely don't plan on selling it without getting a bit more information on it if at all.

5. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi Peace!

Welcome to Antiquers..........

Quite an interesting bowl.

6. Peacekccpcr

Peacekccpcr New Member

Thank you very much, Judy! It is! Definitely wasn't something I was expecting to pull out of a box left for me. There's plenty of more things I'll be posting as well.

7. judy

judy Well-Known Member

You're welcome!

We shall look forward to seeing more of your treasures!

KikoBlueEyes and i need help like this.
  8. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

I agree with the others, this is Japanese Satsuma, around 1900...

9. Silver Wolf

Silver Wolf Well-Known Member

sorry,it's been busy months recently,hehe
    yes i think you're right it's the image one of the immortals

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted