Odd pendant with stone -- has me stumped

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Lucille.b, Oct 5, 2014.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Hello,

I've never seen anything quite like this. The faceted stone is pretty nice looking, but the rest of it is very light weight (no idea what the metal is --positively not anything fine) and as you can see, metal is quite worn. Just has me stumped as to age/origin. Measures 1 3/4 inches high. ...Anyone?

adispin1.jpg adispin2.jpg adispin3.jpg adispin4.jpg

disjewelry4.jpg

2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Looks like 70s Pisces and Feb birthstone amethyst. Stone could be real, just a pale color.
    greg

3. Tonettedogs

Tonettedogs Active Member

I agree, the stone looks like it could be an Amethyst. You might want to test it.

4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The eyes look like real garnets. I'd get the metal tested too. It doesn't look like gold, but it might be gold-plated sterling.

5. Lucille.b

Thanks everyone! I appreciate you all taking a look.

I suppose testing the stone makes sense -- it is such an odd piece to me, sort of high-end/not high-end all at once. The stone seems perfect, it might be glass, but it is beautifully cut and is really stunning in person. The rest looks like it has been through the mill and kind of feels "stamped and cheap". I do have a metal test kit- but I'm out of town for a few more days so will have to check back. I have to say, it was the metal that was a bit strange --so thin compared to the heavy stone. And Evelyn, I also wondered about the eyes, garnet popped into my head as well. Still open to additional thoughts.... Thanks!

6. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Is this forum get fixated on fish? :)))

I seem to recall that kind of foamy metal surface from the fifties. Or earlier. In that one picture, it looks to have been gold painted originally. Methinks the stones are glass (although I have a real amethyst just that color), as post-war US saw rather a lot of interesting glass costume jewelry.

7. 707susang

707susang Active Member

Figtree3 likes this.
  8. silverthwait

Ah, yes. Asian fish are so koi.

9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It looks like it could be Chinese, or some other older southeast Asian. I once found a high-karat gold Buddha, about 21k, set with a plastic catseye. It was about to go in a junk pile, which is how I got it, when some little marks on a soldered bail jumped out. Someone out that way could easily have put real stones in a costume setting, or in a real setting with a weird plating job. The back of the bezel for the purple rock has me wondering. Normally they wouldn't cast costume that thinly.

10. Lucille.b

I also keep coming back to the back of the bezel, so oddly hand done, I even wondered if it was a marriage (or repair?).

My guess is glass on the stone, but I'll hold on to it until I can find out more. And agree, likely Asian. Thanks for the additional replies!

11. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Pisces are swimming in opposite directions

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  12. gregsglass

Hi Bev,
    I was thinking more like a "haze" induced street vender artist more than a manufactured item. I think I saw too many items back then if I was in a haze or not. Oh if I could only wipe out the 70s.:rolleyes:
    greg

Bev aka thelmasstuff likes this.
  13. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Oh if I could only wipe out the 70s.

Oh if I could only re-live the 70s........................

14. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

The fish could be a buddhist symbol. This from Wikipedia:

The two fishes originally represented the two main sacred rivers of India - the Ganges and Yamuna. These rivers are associated with the lunar and solar channels, which originate in the nostrils and carry the alternating rhythms of breath or prana. They have religious significance in Hindu, Jain and Buddhist traditions but also in Christianity (the sign of the fish, the feeding of the five thousand). In Buddhism, the fish symbolize happiness as they have complete freedom of movement in the water. They represent fertility and abundance. Often drawn in the form of carp, which are regarded in the Orient as sacred on account of their elegant beauty, size, and life-span

15. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

carp, which are regarded in the Orient as sacred on account of their elegant beauty, size, and life-span

and taste, which is quite delicate for a fresh water fish. Although this aspect does tend to knock the lifespan one back a bit.

16. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: Af is too funny. :p

mymysharona43 likes this.
  17. gregsglass

Hi Mansons,
    I would relive the 70s IF I did not know what I know now. I can say that at 2:30AM June 9th 1977 was the absolutly the best time of my life.
    greg

18. silverthwait

Not touching that one!

19. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

The summer of 62 was the best time of my life ;):p

20. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Purple haze? LOL. I cherish my memories of the 60s & 70s. At least those that I can actually remember:wacky:

Draft saved Draft deleted