Odd porcelain item, naughty...what is this?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Lucille.b, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

There are clearly some pieces missing, but what is this? 6 1/2 inches long. Could it be a toothbrush holder?

bath1.jpg bath1b.jpg bath2.jpg

2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Lucille.b and afantiques like this.
  3. Lucille.b

You got it SIS, thanks! :)

Well, I don't have those extra pieces --someone will have to be creative.

4. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Lucille,
    Try using some ceramic plastine to model her legs and fan. Would be a fun project for the winter.
    greg

Lucille.b likes this.
  5. Lucille.b

That would be an excellent idea for someone, in fact it could look sort of cool with a mix of old and redo. I bet the right person could make it look great. Maybe they could even give her green legs or something martian like.

But not me. I'd mangle a project like that.

I think this might be going to a funky consignment store. It won't bring in big bucks, but the owner has this knack for stuff like this and might display it with something to give folks ideas. It also could hold some bathroom items, a Burt's Bees lipstick and a small bottle of hair spritzer or something. She is in the bath, after all.

But have to share, I had kind of a funny thing happen with this piece already. I was out in my driveway photographing a few pieces of jewelry and this item a week ago. A neighbor who just moved in (I don't know her very well) came up with her young daughter to say hi. I teach piano and they had talked to me when they moved in about giving their daughter lessons. So while we're chatting, the daughter reaches in the box and pulls this piece out.

Here I am stammering, "Um, its a, a ...?" Of course what is a piano teacher--someone who works with children, doing with this... at that time I couldn't even blurt out, "Oh its an old ashtray missing pieces!"

The child barely registered it, thank god. Not that it is so shocking, but still, too funny.

6. LeftonGuy

LeftonGuy Well-Known Member

7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Give her two toothbrushes where the legs are supposed to be?

8. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Just keep it away from Greg's porkophobe lady in NJ! She's tell the authorities you are disseminating scatological pottery to minors!

Draft saved Draft deleted