Oil on Canvas Nude with Cherub Signed Wolf

Discussion in 'Art' started by kraftblue, Jan 22, 2015.

1. kraftblue

kraftblue Well-Known Member

Here is an interesting painting. Can anyone help pinpoint artist?

Kath

wolf1.JPG wolf2.JPG wolf3.JPG wolf4.JPG wolf5.JPG

2. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I suspect this is student art, learning to paint with oils.

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  3. kraftblue

Thanks Antidiem

4. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

Can you post a picture of the back?

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

It may or may not be student....but it's got sumpthin goin on !!

The eyes have it !

6. kraftblue

Here is the back without and with flash
    back1.JPG back2.JPG

7. antidiem

By "student work" - I didn't mean it had to have been painted in an art classroom.

Merely that it appears to be unprofessionally done by someone learning to paint. The painter didn't know how to handle the "blacks", nor shade and shadow, the paint colors are muddy, painted as though the human figure were a still-life off-white vase (especially the woman). Looks like someone trying to do realism but fell short of getting the proportions right (amongst other things).

Also there may be something painted beneath this, as there appears to be some sort of imagery beneath the background black, it wasn't uncommon for student painters to re-use their "reject" canvases.

The canvas itself appears to be hand-stretched and stapled by hand, but I cannot see it well enough to tell for certain, but the stretching job looks unprofessional*, like what a student would do.

*This would neither add nor detract from the value (if any). How big is this?

8. kraftblue

Its 36" x 24"

9. antidiem

Yeah this looked pretty big. In general, I've found that potential buyers seem to prefer LARGE paintings - and while this isn't huge, I would consider it to be a large painting.

I did not bother to search for the "WOLF" name, but you may want to investigate that further for resale purposes.

If you feel comfy to pack and ship it, toss it up for sale - either on the eb or cl. Last time I shipped a large one, I used a "mirror box" and "corners" from a furniture store and an old blanket for padding. It went 3000miles via UPS ground without damage.

No reason not to try. There's no accounting for taste. ;)

10. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    When I was a kid many years ago we used to say "There is no accounting for taste" said the old lady as she kissed the cow".
    greg

11. kraftblue

I think I might have some corner protectors around. As soon as I find a box I will list it. I do have old towels I can use for padding.

Kath

antidiem likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted