Featured Oil portrait

Discussion in 'Art' started by Gncaaron, May 15, 2020.

1. Gncaaron

Gncaaron Active Member

2D534127-87B5-4209-8B26-5A0726CAE515.jpeg 90D66973-C702-42E2-B395-45114B2410B2.jpeg 76A09C96-50B4-4E0D-8830-FCC4BA1E4610.jpeg 021A36BA-A522-41B0-B298-F481704FE5AE.jpeg 6CC7446F-5FD6-477A-811A-8FC05C6C203D.jpeg D69CD6C7-BFFE-457D-BA09-A75F7B199B7A.jpeg New to oil paintings and almost zero knowledge, can anyone help me age this? Signature on back is badly faded, canvas frame is warped. Is that repairable? Picked it up for almost nothing just due to the fact I liked the aged look and it will go well in my house. any information would be great, thanks in advance! The nail was holding the canvas onto the frame pictured. Figured that may help identify age more than anything.

Houseful, Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  2. Gncaaron

Gncaaron Active Member

Here is pic of signature close up. Maybe can make out “o-u-x” at the end but wouldn’t be surprised if it is French as I am in Texas and Louisiana has a deep French history.

Attached Files:

judy likes this.
  3. Gncaaron

Gncaaron Active Member

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The painter did a good job, but later owners didn't.:(
    It has serious condition issues, but if you don't mind that, and like it for your own house, that's fine. Be prepared for more paint loss and possible tearing over the years though.:sorry:

5. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

There seem to be at least three lines of writing on the back. It might be worthwhile taking photos in different lighting situations to see if you can bring it out more. Any sign of a signature on the front?

Scary fellow isn't he?

6. Any Jewelry

Just protecting his right to be on the painting, that's all.;)

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

With his pop-up collar and cravet likely to be 1860s. Civil War-ish.

Debora

Gncaaron likes this.
  8. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

It looks like Lamoreux to me (the writing on the back).

Christmasjoy and Gncaaron like this.
  9. Gncaaron

Gncaaron Active Member

Thank you all for the feedback! The ink on back is terribly illegible and this is probably the best pic I can get. No signs of signature on the front, could’ve been one on the bottom but paint loss destroyed any chance of that 837C32E9-FE70-4C4F-B84A-38BD17A09864.jpeg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  10. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

Not to steal your thread but it reminded me of this portrait I have. looks like the same clothing.
    Old man portrait.JPG

Christmasjoy likes this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Tweaked it a bit, I agree it looks like it begins with La-, maybe Lo-, and ends with -eux

upload_2020-5-15_20-17-49.jpeg

Christmasjoy likes this.
  12. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I'm just throwing this out there after playing with this for a while....and thinking that the first letter is a J....my interpretation may make NO sense whatsoever.....I couldn't find a "J" that matched in my pile of scripts! AND maybe that's not a legitimate 'dot' between the 'u' and the 'x'.....ALSO, below what I posted, an inverted image of your signature....SOMETIMES helps show up siggys.....but not always.....

TEST SIGGY X.jpg

INVERTED SIGGY.jpg

Last edited: May 15, 2020
  13. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

There is more writing to the left of the L that is getting clipped out of your photos. Maybe a first name.
    painting2 antique.jpg

14. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I saw that smallaxe, down below too!!!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  15. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Oh my Gncaaron! He looks cranky :woot:

Aquitaine likes this.
  16. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

The letter next to the U could be a C not an O.

17. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

These are the lines of writing I see.

upload_2020-5-15_16-44-5.png

Aquitaine likes this.
  18. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Y'all surely have better eyes than I do, but I don't think the first letter is an "L" - I think it could be an "S" from the aged lettering style.

19. antidiem

I believe an "L" would be more "flourished" than what is shown, if indeed the age is the mid-1800s.

20. antidiem

Draft saved Draft deleted