Old Antique Buttons,1 Metal Japanese/Chinese #2 Old Button

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by antiquelover69, Sep 28, 2021.

1. antiquelover69

antiquelover69 Well-Known Member

Storage find.Two old antique buttons.#1 has Japanese or Chinese letter(s) metal,I'm not sure not what kind of metal,doesn't stick to magnet.#2 button look like bone applied metal top cerved flower on top.Trying to find out age of both buttons and what is the letter on the Japanese/Chinese button. SAM_3648.JPG SAM_3647.JPG SAM_3649.JPG SAM_3651.JPG SAM_3652.JPG SAM_3653.JPG SAM_3654.JPG

2. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

antiquelover69, Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

antiquelover69 likes this.
  4. antiquelover69

Thanks!

5. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

All my button books are packed away, but both buttons would date to right around the 1890s, and both are brass, the first silvered, the second gilt - no size given, but generally larger is worth more.

Suspect the first, though with a Chinese character motif, is of American or European manufacture - Asian designs were quite popular.

The second most likely has a celluloid background rather than bone, the gilding is worn and it has a bit of the 'greenies', but nice in that it has a brass back rather than the more common japanned steel, which can rust. Here is a sold button from eBay that appears to have a similar back, it's a decent size, in very good condition with a nice design - seller says it's French, and certainly a good possibility, given it depicts mistletoe, a very popular French design motif:

https://tinyurl.com/y32cf87r

button-brass-celluloid-1.JPG

button-brass-celluloid-2.JPG

~Cheryl

antiquelover69 and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. antiquelover69

Wow! Dragonfly great information! the first one the chinese measure 1". the second on is right at 1" 1/2". I found a box of old buttons in a storage I bought.I've had them about 4 years,just looking at buttons and throught maybe they are worth something.I found some of them but these 2 I didn't have anything. I can't even find the Chinese button at all.Thank you so much! I love this site!!

Any Jewelry likes this.