Old Asian Lidded Pot -- Lid has tinkling sound in it

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by AntiqueBytes, Apr 19, 2022.

1. AntiqueBytes

AntiqueBytes Well-Known Member

Can anyone identify this?

It is about a 14" wide by 10" high. It's packed safely somewhere and so that's just an estimate.

Also, really crazy question but I still need to know. There is a tinkling sound like something is inside the lid. I'm curious to know if this is a tradition or if it might be one of a kind. I'm interested in seeing what might be in there so wonder if anyone has any advice on cutting a small hole in the lid. Could be something valuable but I won't be disappointed if its not.

I did get an identification only for the time period on one of the old eBay forums or groups but I did not save the notes very well.

chineseporcelinlargepot2.jpg chineseporcelinlargepot3.jpg chineseporcelinlargepot4.jpg chineseporcelinlargepot1.jpg

Last edited: Apr 19, 2022
  2. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

The knops are hollow (or they would crack when firing), sometimes a small bit of ceramic breaks off a rough edge inside the cavity, that's what you hear rattling around. If you break it open you won't find anything interesting!

It's a post war Chinese piece in the Canton style made for export to the West.

judy, Figtree3, BoudiccaJones and 3 others like this.
  3. AntiqueBytes

Do you mean knobs?

The last information I got was that it was older. I guess if I can see some like this described as you say I would accept it %100. Right now, not sure what to believe about it.

judy likes this.
  4. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Its missing a handle,no ? That reduces the value significantly,wether its old or newer(I also think newer).

judy and antidiem like this.
  5. AntiqueBytes

I have a little bit of an interesting in restoration or getting it to people that like to do that kind of thing. In fact, I saw a similar type of pot a few months after I found this with the same kind of handles. Not sure how strong they would be but I understand a lot of repairs in ceramics are done with kilns. My dad always had one or two kilns in our basement.

judy likes this.
  6. Francisco G Kempton

Francisco G Kempton Well-Known Member

judy, Figtree3 and AntiqueBytes like this.
  7. AntiqueBytes

Thanks, Francisco. That explains a lot.

judy and Francisco G Kempton like this.
  8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Knop is the correct term, it means the little thing on top!

judy, Figtree3 and AntiqueBytes like this.
  9. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Knop is more correct, but it's a very similar meaning. The Westernised faces and mark style are post war, but it could still be 50-70 years old, it's not a new reproduction.

You can have handles restored safely, they drill into the ceramic and put in metal pegs to add strength. Only have it restored for your own interest though, restoration would cost more than the item is worth and items from this period with restoration have little value as they are still abundant in the market place.

komokwa, judy, Figtree3 and 2 others like this.
  10. AntiqueBytes

I don't want to take the time to refinish this by removing the one handle. Do you think $30 is a fair price for it or should I ask more/less?

Draft saved Draft deleted