Old Asian themed vase with crossed swords mark

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Lithographer, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

I purchased this vase at an estate sale in my old neighborhood in Kalamazoo, about 6-7 years ago. It drove me crazy trying to sort through all of the crossed swords marks. I never was able to find one that matched this. I would like to get an estimate on how old this vase is and if anyone recognizes the mark. Also I am curious as to why the faces are gone on the people, do glazes fade? The vase is about 10" high and 5.5" wide. It looks on this inside like it was turned on a wheel and the clay seems to be a tan color. Any information would be greatly appreciated. IMG_1073.jpg IMG_1074.jpg IMG_1075.jpg IMG_1076.jpg IMG_1077.jpg IMG_1078.jpg

judy likes this.
  2. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

I don't know from that mark, but this vase looks Chinese to me.

judy and dude like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

& the top rim is seated for a lid.....so...not a vase..

judy, patd8643, blooey and 1 other person like this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

blooey, judy and patd8643 like this.
  5. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

judy likes this.
  6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I would guess that most of the color is fired-on enamel, but final details (such as the faces) were added in cold paint after the firing. Cold paint is paint just lying on the surface and very fragile - easily worn away.

blooey, Bakersgma and judy like this.
  7. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

Lithographer, blooey and Bakersgma like this.
  8. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

This is of course true with cold painted works, however this piece wasn't decorated that way. On Chinese porcelains (and obviously Japanese copies too) faces were quite often delineated in iron red with details picked out in grisaille.
    This red, which is much softer then the surrounding colours, is not only fugitive but due to the softer composition it is far more susceptible to harsh cleaning so it never fares quite as well as the other enamels.
    Even though this is a Japanese production, it is decorated identically to and imitates Chinese porcelain decoration of the time, even down to the type and colour of enamels used.

Lithographer and moreotherstuff like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted