Featured Old block planes, anything special here?

Discussion in 'Tools' started by CluelessFarmBoy, Dec 26, 2021.

1. CluelessFarmBoy

CluelessFarmBoy Active Member

I have been sitting on these for over a year and quite honestly forgot about them until I was just doing some rummaging, anything special? One of them is from the Stanley Liberty Bell series, one of them is a transitional Stanley #35, the large wooden one I have no idea as there are no markings, the smallest one is a Union #110, and the last one I don't know but it says "Made in USA" with "1" directly below it, any insight would be much appreciated, cheers! kmc_20211226_184515.jpg kmc_20211226_184442.jpg kmc_20211226_184410.jpg kmc_20211226_184407.jpg

2. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Those large blocky "coffin" wood planes always sell pretty good - not for huge amounts of money (20-40$) but are always popular.

3. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

Sometimes on the large wooden planes they are stamped on the end . If not check the blade . That might be the only identification assuming it has the original blade. the prices have really dropped here in the midwest unless it is something real special. Use to get $75 for some of them.

4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I even sold of those blocky ones once - found one that was prison-made and sold it for an OK price. Woodworkers still like the specialized ones; I just watched a Youtube video of a guy in Maine using one that had to be 150 year old plus to repair an 18th century desk. So... demand is there, if not price tags to match.

CluelessFarmBoy and judy like this.
  5. CluelessFarmBoy

CluelessFarmBoy Active Member

I sold a pair of Sciotto Works all wooden planes about the same size as the one pictured a few years ago for $40 each, I also pulled an old Stanley out of my father's scrap pile that was completely covered with rust, sanded it down and sold it for 40 bucks...... I also pulled an old beat up Amana microwave from that same scrap pile and sold it for $250

Rayo56 likes this.
  6. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

7. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

8. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

I just bought a lot of about 15 or so large antique solid wood block planes. Most marked one way or another. Hammer price $10. I was the only bidder at a busy auction. Even got an old gold stamping machine with it that I’ll get $100-$200 out of. I have had zero luck selling any of them at around $20 each. I’ve only tried locally so far. My first try at selling planes. Good thing I paid less than $1 each. Just a commentary on the current market. Obviously results will vary.

9. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

I had a few over the years..from different relative"estates. I have one left..no idea where it came from....but kept it because unique origin...And just a a great piece of craftsmanship.
    Auburn Tool Co. Auburn, NY 1864-1893. Tools made by prison labor. antique wood plane 003.jpg antique wood plane 007.jpg

Figtree3, Firemandk and Potteryplease like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted