Featured Old Box from Friends dad which held his collection of War medals

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by bluwater101, Mar 11, 2020.

1. bluwater101

bluwater101 Member

The medals are cool but I thought this box was also interesting, I know it's old as he had it since a child and is now nearly 80. I know the condition isn't great but besides that I was curious if anyone knew anything about it.

Thank for any and all insight.
    it's 13 1/4"x5 5/8"x 3 3/4" box.jpg box1.jpg

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd be thinking old candy box, repurposed. They generally were. There might be a mark on the underside, especially if it held cigarettes or cigars instead. It might well be even older than your dad is; what's left of the lock looks like it's from around 1900. So does the kid on the lid.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

It's wood and not card board correct?
    I think this is one of the pyrography boxes. Looks like the boy is glued on rather than a burnt out design.
    Time period early 1900s.

I rather doubt it was a candy box.
    Can you show us the bottom please.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  4. bluwater101

bluwater101 Member

5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

This is not a box, but shows the same sort of texture as your box.
    upload_2020-3-12_16-45-12.png

Pyrography is still done today. However, around the early 1900s, it was very popular. A person could buy different designs and kits to do themselves.
    I think that is what you have.

You never said, is the boy a separate piece glued to the top? Or is it part of the design of the box?
    Maybe after doing the texture on the box, they didn't want to do the boy. I don't know.

Draft saved Draft deleted