Featured old box of carved jade ? piggies

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by charlie cheswick, Jun 22, 2018.

1. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

hi all, found this today and couldnt resist buying it

some of the piggies have got marked silver collars

theres a few other oddbits as well(cat)

do you think it was once a necklace, there all different sizes

jade or something else ?

many thanks

Aviary Photo_131741611379318722_resize_20180622_190155.jpg Aviary Photo_131741611999084744_resize_20180622_190155.jpg Aviary Photo_131741612563034777_resize_20180622_190154.jpg Aviary Photo_131741613534729095_resize_20180622_190155.jpg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

They are so cute!
    They look serpentine. I think they came from an old or even antique lucky pig or year of the pig necklace. Could you post a photo of one of the silver bands?

3. charlie cheswick

hi Aj, yeah they were too cute not to buy, it was £5 for the box, but couldn't resist

ill clean one of the silver collars and take a pic

4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Yep - serpentine for me too. Cute little guys, and at that price you couldn't miss! I think they want to be knotted onto some nice rattail cording.

5. charlie cheswick

6. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Cute/nice find and buy! :singing:

7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

They are Adorkable!!!!!!!!! Pure Cute!!!

8. Any Jewelry

The bands are silver, that's all I can say for now. My guess is the silver content is .800 or slightly over, so not legally recognized as silver in Britain.
    I have seen the 'real silver' mark before, but where?
    For a moment I thought the 'real silver' mark could be one of the Chinese Export Silver (CES) marks from the Republic Period, roughly first half of the 20th century, but it isn't in my research files. But I can imagine these on a Chinese silver necklace of the period. Silver bands around stone pendants are seen a lot in CES silver jewellery. The stone would typically be jade, carnelian, rosequartz, etc. These little lovelies are serpentine, which is not rated as highly, but you never know.

The almost half circular shape at the bottom of the box on photo 2 looks like a repro Zuni style bear bead. It is not true Zuni (Native American).

The piggies could have been made as beads in Asia and some made into silverbanded pendants somewhere else.
    Maybe @DragonflyWink knows the mark?

9. charlie cheswick

thanks Aj

yeah i get the feeling that they were a work in progress too. especially with the uncut pieces of stone in the box.

i think the idea if them being pendants makes more sense

Christmasjoy, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I've a hazy memory that Real Silver was used for stuff made in Hong Kong. Had some spoons from there.

11. Any Jewelry

You could be right, I have seen the mark before and my gut feeling places it in China proper, Hong Kong or Peranakan East Asia. The style isn't strictly Peranakan, Hong Kong could be it.

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  12. rocko23

rocko23 Member

13. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Can't recall seeing 'Real Silver' on any Asian silver, or for that matter, on any other silver either. Am bothered by the holes going through the sides rather than from top to bottom, seems odd for a necklace, though suppose it might work for an odd kind of bracelet. Believe those holes through the sides were more likely intended for a Stanhope viewer, and that Rocko23 is correct on their being Connemara marble (the Irish using 'Real Silver' wouldn't surprise me).

http://irishamerica.com/2015/01/the-things-they-carried/

Connemara marble pig charms: https://www.google.com/search?biw=1....0....0...1c.1.64.img..0.0.0....0.jaKAfPNxivI

Connemara marble Stanhope charms: https://www.google.com/search?q=con...--nbAhVQb60KHbAZA7EQ_AUICygC&biw=1396&bih=690

~Cheryl

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
    Figtree3, Fid, tie.dye.cat and 8 others like this.
  14. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Aha. I think Cheryl and rocko have it.

charlie cheswick likes this.
  15. Any Jewelry

Perfect research, rocko. It says here Connemara marble is marble with serpentine, diopside, chlorite, calcite, and dolomite inclusions.
    https://www.myirishjeweler.com/blog/what-is-connemara-marble
    Thanks Cheryl.
    Right, a Stanhope viewer, probably showing a scene from Ireland. Why they were taken out is anyone's guess.

You lucky guy, Charlie. You've got lucky pigs, lucky Connemara marble, and a £5 investment which could make nice money.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
  16. charlie cheswick

thanks for the info everybody. how would i have ever gotten that !!

how much luck would it bring, if i made them into one big necklace !!

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  17. charlie cheswick

i think if i hadn't had this info, i would have sold them all as 1 lot

but i think their probably worth doing individually now

and keep the little cat for myself !!

18. Any Jewelry

Yes, they are. And the little cat is lovely, I would also keep that, I think.:cat:

19. rocko23

rocko23 Member

And one of the pigs for continued good luck :)

20. charlie cheswick

thanks for the great spot rocko,

yeah will defo keep a piggie or two

im surprised there wasnt a cat amongst the piggins joke !

Draft saved Draft deleted