Featured Old Button,strange design on front

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Houseful, Dec 24, 2017.

1. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

This button was a metal detecting find from a medieval village field. It looks like aged bronze especially on the back, there's evidence on the front of gilding, the design on the front is a mystery. One inch diameter. Any ideas about the motif please? Looks like a spaceship in a wheat field. Sorry about the shadows. Thanks.~ image.jpg image.jpg

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I know absolutely nothing about buttons, but lack of knowledge rarely stops me from commenting.

I looked at your button in different orientations & think it must be right side up just as you show it. Agree it looks like a field with a crop & barley or wheat seem as likely as anything. I could see the 'space ship' as a stylisation of the sun beating down & those things at the bottom as sheaves or bales. Suspect not really connected, but there is a sun motif on the back as well.

Now, when did buttons come into use & who would wear one like this?

3. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Could it represent a "Beltane fire" celebrating May Day in Northern Europe (Walpurgisnacht in Germany)?

(DH wrote the above because I asked him what he thought it might represent.) ;)

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
    KingofThings, Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  4. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Proof that aliens visited this field in a spaceship in the 14th century.

Sorry, I'm slap-happy from being so tired and couldn't resist.

5. LIbraryLady

LIbraryLady Well-Known Member

Seems surprising to me that there is a design pattern on the back. That makes me think it wasn't just a trifle, but I'm just surmising...

6. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

What are those in the scene along the bottom?
    Patd

KingofThings and Christmasjoy like this.
  7. Houseful

I have seen a similar design line on the bottom on heraldic coats of arms, a guess at grasses or flames above and the pylon type thing a complete mystery.

8. Houseful

Thanks, it could well be. I'll look into that. I can't even guess a date as the back looks older than the front.

9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

That 'line' along the bottom has a rope-like look to me.....sure is strange looking otherwise, though!!!!!! Maybe an alien dropped one of his buttons on one of his/their trips here!!!!!!!!!!!!:blackalien::blackalien::blackalien: HEY!!! It's ALL I've got this time of night!!!!!

10. Houseful

Pity it wasn't picked up around Area 51!!

Aquitaine and KingofThings like this.
  11. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

that's nasty !

Aquitaine and judy like this.
  13. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

In my truck! :)

judy likes this.
  14. Houseful

Wow, it is the same one, thank you SIS. Found in east of England about 20 miles from mine. I had never heard of such awful devices, and it doesn't seem many of these things are found (on my first internet search). I'll look on Detectorist sites. Thanks again.
    Edit.
    I've been looking at prominent Norfolk families and think there's a link to the Calthorpe or as sometimes spelled Calthrop family in that area. Looks as if they were landowners and one was a Sir in the 1500s. Think the livery button much later than that and likely to have found its way onto the field as 'shoddy' where old clothes were shredded up as fertiliser and buttons not kept.
    Well, that's another 'alien' artefact explained!

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
    Aquitaine, Bronwen, Bakersgma and 4 others like this.
  15. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Fascinating and that seems to make sense. I did find that the "alien" image was an image on some heraldry so it did seem less weird at least.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  16. komokwa

While searching for Dali litho's....this pin....from Antiquers....showed up on Google...
    I was not amused.!

Bronwen likes this.
  17. Houseful

I'm not on Facebook or twitter and the picture has not been posted or sent anywhere else by me so I don't know how it got there. I don't back up pictures on the iCloud either. Maybe it's something to do with the Area 51 and if someone somewhere monitors any reference to it!!

18. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    The bots are constantly patrolling the threads, I think the only one they do not touch is the general announcement.
    greg

komokwa and Houseful like this.
  19. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Shows up on google image search because it's posted on here - although you might be onto something with the Area 51 theory :)

Houseful likes this.
  20. komokwa

yes...& I wasn't even searching for anything like it !!!

Draft saved Draft deleted