Old chest / trunk

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by djmidnight, Nov 30, 2018.

1. djmidnight

djmidnight New Member

so i have a antique trunk with metal trimming and wood it has a metal platform on the bottom. i looked everywhere on it for any type of markings or numbers but couldn't find nothing. the trunk has 2 side latches with a lock in latch in the middle. it has wooden band across the top of it. withing the wood bands on top it has a gold flower like decal on each band there are 4 wooden strap like bands on top. what was interesting was the wheels on the bottom and the photo under the trunk lid. the photo is of a girl back in the day i would say 1800s. the wheels look original but not for sure the wheels are very old conditioned didn't know if they were original or if somebody put them on there. i would like to know if this trunk is worth anything. it is beaten up but it is a solid trunk it looks original to me but I'm not no expert. it has a red flower designs around it. i would like to know where it came from or who it was made by. i tried googling it but didn't find anything. if you can give me more information on this please.

here are all the images https://imgur.com/a/A7hjADW

Christmasjoy likes this.
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

D6F788D2-B844-4D17-89C0-4755D05473A8.jpeg 45960FAE-3EFD-491B-A840-3941089F4404.jpeg EA136A2E-418D-4272-91CC-3A8C6FEB94DC.jpeg BC1546B0-EB03-404E-954C-C135EEFA5995.jpeg 751265A8-8F7F-4F84-AACE-C4FC91D0D055.jpeg 9BCFB6B1-0137-4DC0-BCE1-1202BE0DA725.jpeg Welcome to the ForumDjMidnight! :)
    Many people won’t click links, so next time, upload to your post, if possible.

Sandra, judy, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  3. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Gan you take it into daylight or at least increase the lighting, preferably without using flash. The pictures are just too murky.

i need help, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi djmidnight! Welcome to Antiquers.

Google steamer trunk. They were very popular in my area of Massachusetts several years back. I had a dealer friend who refurbushed them and sold at a very good profit back around 15-20 years ago.

Yours is in poor condition visually, but perhaps it is still solid and useful.

I have a dome top one that I use for storage.

Not sure what I could get for it should I decide to sell it.

i need help, Any Jewelry and Sandra like this.
  5. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Just curious but . . . do any of you know if it is true that dome-top (rounded top) trunks were used by "first class" travelers because other passengers' trunks couldn't be placed on top of them?

i need help and bobsyouruncle like this.
  6. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Think accomodation for hoop skirts...

yourturntoloveit and i need help like this.
  7. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I came across this page..........

https://hmsantiquetrunks.com/trunk-faqs--trunk-myths.html

Draft saved Draft deleted