Featured Old? Chinese? blue and white porcelain bowl

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by afantiques, Nov 25, 2017.

1. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

I have almost no knowledge of ceramics but this was purchased at a Christmas Fair today for £2.

Not by me, my partner has developed a bit of an eye for odds and ends over the years and she thought it interesting. Credit where it is due if it is a bit old.

It has a chip on the rim revealing a white body, so it is I assume porcelain.(The brown mark near the chip appears to be a spot of old house paint) The prancing horses have a bit of a Chinese style to them. It has a thick and heavy feel to it that I do not associate with modern porcelain, but what do I know?
    The base is not marked at all.It is about 9 inches long and 2 inches deep. It has a sharp, clear ring when tapped.

Any ideas welcome, of course. Whatever the verdict I am really not going to regret the expenditure of £2. :) P1040963.JPG

P1040964.JPG

P1040965.JPG

P1040966.JPG

P1040967.JPG

2. Asian Fever

Asian Fever Well-Known Member

Nice bowl. In my opinion it is republic period or late Qing. It is not made for export nor for emperor. It's just made for daily use, not valuable but it worth collecting because the design and pattern is nice. Furthermore, it's not a round charger, it is much rarer.

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Very nice bowl, AF, love the horses.
    Agree with Asian. I think more Republic, and for domestic use. Provincial wares can be very attractive and collectible, and this one is certainly worth more than £2.

judy, yourturntoloveit and kyratango like this.
  4. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Very nice. Year of the horse?

judy likes this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd give it stable room. Or house room. Pretty thing, and if you're selling it there are scads of horse lovers around who would cheerfully take it out of your hair.

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. AntiqueAndy

AntiqueAndy Member

Very nice buy.:)

judy likes this.
  7. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

Japanese from Arita IMO.

judy likes this.
  8. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Any special reason to disagree with the concesus?

judy likes this.
  9. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

I have seen Japanese examples with similar border decoration. Horses are not uncommon on Arita pieces. Also the bottom and the paste look Japanese IMO, not Chinese.

Draft saved Draft deleted