Old chinese bowl

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Magdonna, Sep 29, 2019.

1. Magdonna

Magdonna Active Member

Hi :) is anyone familiar with this mark? 20190929_081711.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nothing I've seen here before.....hardly looks like a mark..?? !!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. Magdonna

Magdonna Active Member

Hmm, I have no idea.it looks old but I havent seen such mark before 20190929_081731.jpg 20190929_081743.jpg

4. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

This is a Chinese worker's bowl, mass produced and sold at the docks in Canton so probably brought over with an immigrant ..they were sold to departing emigres as part of their "Gum San" kit ..most workers at the time in railway or mining camps had their own bowls and cutlery and used what I call "chip marks" to identify their pieces in the camps. Most of the bowls I've handled of this type were plain and came in a celadon-y colour known as "wintergreen", although I've also run across blue and white and even Japanese saki bottles with similar owner's marks.

These marks are usually translate to good fortune or wealth and are chipped into the porcelain as a series of dots using a sharp point or nail. At the side of your bowl you will see this chip mark.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
    kentworld, Christmasjoy, judy and 2 others like this.
  5. Magdonna

Magdonna Active Member

Oh wow Blooey, thank you so much for detailed info :)

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  6. Magdonna

Magdonna Active Member

Blooey, what would you say about this one?same period? Thanks
    20191001_090410.jpg

7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

gotta show the whole bowl.........!;);)
    help us , to help you !!!!:):)

blooey, i need help and Christmasjoy like this.
  8. Magdonna

Magdonna Active Member

Popular pattern, but I have not seen one with such mark before 20191001_102508.jpg

komokwa and Christmasjoy like this.
  9. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

komokwa, blooey and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted