Featured Old Chinese Compote?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by kraftblue, Dec 8, 2023.

1. kraftblue

kraftblue Well-Known Member

This stands 3 1/2" tall and measures 4 1/4" across the top. Is it a compote? And how old is this? Thanks.

stem1.JPG stem2.JPG stem3.JPG stem4.JPG stem5.JPG stem6.JPG stem8.JPG stem9.JPG

2. gckimm

gckimm Active Member

Hi:

This looks to me to be 19th century or older. It is the simple type of ceramic ware used by the common people in their own homes or in eateries for small items such as nuts, dried fruit, or cookies.

Greg

Figtree3, John Brassey and johnnycb09 like this.
  3. kraftblue

Thanks Greg.

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is Chinese Provincial ware, probably made in Dehua, Fujian Province, on the southeast coast of China. A lot of Fujian ware was made for export to other parts of Asia.
    It is too shallow to be a compote dish, and as Greg explained, it wasn't used for compote.
    In the West we often use the Italian word 'tazza' for this type of elegant footed dish, also when it is Chinese. Footed dish is a more neutral term though.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2023
    Figtree3 likes this.
  5. kraftblue

Thanks Any! I thought it was an interesting item

Any Jewelry likes this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is. I bought a similar one just after China opened to the West again. There was a department store in my town that had a Chinese exhibit which included antique Provincial ware.

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted