Old Conoco Gass original Drawing Advertising,Never Used

Discussion in 'Art' started by antiquelover69, Dec 4, 2018.

1. antiquelover69

antiquelover69 Well-Known Member

I bought 3 large pages of original artwork,Conoco gas original hand drawn advertising,I don't think this was ever put on any ads,drawn by Clinton E Frank Inc,need help,anybody know about this company.I googled and found some information,but not much.I bought this about 25 or 30 years ago from an attic sale of a friend.She and her husband travel to may cities buying odd items.When her husband passed,she just sold everything.This is just one of 3 pages. SAM_0354.JPG SAM_0354.JPG

Attached Files:

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Looks like it might have been a "story board" to "pitch" a television ad idea. Mad Men and all that. ;)

3. Bakersgma

Here's the Wiki page for the guy who started the ad agency these drawings were done for. Clint Frank, football player and advertising executive. Says he started the self-named agency in 1954.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clint_Frank

Any Jewelry, judy, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

petroliana guys might like this...

5. komokwa

my 79 Firebird filled up behind the plate too...

6. antiquelover69

Thanks Bakersgma and Komokwa!! I found Clinton E Frank guy but not his ads

7. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

LOL

8. Bakersgma

Probably not actually drawn by Frank himself, but by an employee.

Bronwen and i need help like this.
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Would have been done in the creative department, drawn by an art director using copy from a copy writer. Account team would have pitched this and a couple other ad concepts. And, if not produced, most likely client preferred another option. I'd think interest from someone somewhere. Clinton E. Frank only existed between 1954 and 1976 so there's your window. (Of course, you can narrow it considerably by the car model and the word "Shazam" which was widely used in the 1960s after Jim Nabor's Gomer Pyle character.)

Debora

10. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I agree - storyboards for TV ad. That shape of screen went out with CRTs. If the 'shazam' was meant to be literal (and why not?), that might make the ad contemporary with the original Batman series - 1966-68.

It might have been discarded as a TV spot for being too derivative.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  11. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Believe the 'Shazam', along with the attendant's uniform, is a reference to Captain Marvel...

~Cheryl

12. antiquelover69

Thanks Debora, and Cheryl!!

13. komokwa

upload_2018-12-5_0-26-6.jpeg

That logo was in use from 1930 to 70......& with the style of sedan used in the drawings....I'm putting it closer to 1970,,,

antiquelover69 and i need help like this.
  14. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

As did my 1969 T-bird!

antiquelover69 likes this.
  15. komokwa

photo's????

SBSVC likes this.
  16. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Ah, SOMEWHERE! (Still among the thousands that have not yet been scanned!)

It was an AMAZING car, but the UGLIEST green color you can imagine - sort of a sick olive - with a black roof & black leather interior. I had it from 1972 until I got my first company car in 1979, at which point I gave it to my father-in-law... He kept it for several more years after that.

komokwa likes this.
  17. komokwa

upload_2018-12-5_3-42-31.jpeg

like that ?

18. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Definitely a similar color, but mine was a 2-door and had a black roof, different headlights & gas under the back plate - oh, and whitewalls, too!

komokwa likes this.
  19. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

LOL! I started in graphic design in the late 1970s, 20 years later I was working at an ad agency and we were still hand drawing story boards like this :)

i need help and Bakersgma like this.
  20. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

deleted

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
Draft saved Draft deleted