Old electrical component c.1910?

Discussion in 'Tools' started by jjmclell, Jun 28, 2020.

1. jjmclell

jjmclell New Member

Hi there,

Does anyone know what this is? I found it at the site of an old cabin that I think stood around 1910. It says 3 amp 250 volt on the bottom half, with S-S on the top. It is ceramic.

Thanks!

Jay IMG_20200628_202418.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

light switch...........or door buzzer......?

3. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Could be for an old pendant type light. They used to have something like this (most of them are circular) mounted to the ceiling with the electrical connections under it. There would typically be twisted cloth wiring down to a keyed, or pull chain socket (brass or porcelain). A fitter ring attached to the socket would hold the shade.

This type of thing:

[​IMG]

And with porcelain:
    upload_2020-6-28_23-59-2.jpeg

I've never seen one shaped like this, so like komo said, maybe it is for a switch or something...

Christmasjoy, komokwa and i need help like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

maybe if we knew how big it is...where it was found, what the back looks like....y'know....like regular stuff that the OP knows, but seems unwilling or unable to share with us....that could help us narrow down our opinions.....

Help us....to help you !!!!:watching::rolleyes::rolleyes:

sabre123 likes this.
  5. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

6. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Need to see other side to be sure but based on electrical specs I’d say it is what remains of a wall-type rotary switch for lighting etc. There’s too much power there for it to be A push button switch, it is on-off probably what industry terms “SPST.”

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted