Old European Sketch Painting: Who is this lady?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Sam Hills, Dec 29, 2020.

1. Sam Hills

Sam Hills Member

Hi all,

Has anyone seen this face before?

This sketch, glued on hardboard, was used to paint a wall somewhere (maybe a church, maybe in Rome?).

Given the name on the back (Judgement, Roma) and the stance of this lady (looking upward and in shock), this could be related to the Judgement of Solomon by...an unknown artist? The lady could be one of the two mothers maybe... I could be completely off, happy to hear your thoughts...

I inherited this 'sketch' painting, among others, from my great grandfather, who lived in Brussels.

The dimensions are as follows: H20cm x W15cm.

No signature visible.

The text in the back states (I believe):

Judgement, Rome
    Sold in 1910 for 6,500 Belgian Francs, (in today's money approximately 3,000 USD).

The rest of the text describes the painters process: First the idea, "Bozzetti", followed by the draft, then the 'enlargement' by squaring technique 'la miss au carreau', and finally the application on the wall by some needle technique which would have punched ink through the hardboard.

I hope this is interesting to you and I look forward to your comments!

Many thanks in advance.
    Sam

Hjarta likes this.
  2. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Looks to me you have what we call a "fragment" there. By the broad strokes, this was probably part of a LARGE painting that got damaged or for some other reason cut into pieces.

See these around here and there, dealers did this quite a bit in the past.

Fid, Sam Hills and i need help like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It does say it's a fragment of a cartoon. I wouldn't assume that's "a lady" though.

Debora

Van_Poperin and Sam Hills like this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Bozetti is another word for maquette from what I saw - a preliminary drawing.

Van_Poperin and Sam Hills like this.
  5. Sam Hills

Sam Hills Member

As Blooey said, it would have been part of a very large painting (maybe on a wall). I do hope a copy of the full image exists out there somewhere. Maybe someone will recognise it at one point. I'd love to see it by chance one day, maybe in a museum!

I have tried uploading this to Google Picture searching for similarities. Alas, without success.

As an example, here is the type of setting I imagine this to be part of: Judgement of Solomon

Attached Files:

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

What source are you using for your historical currency conversion?

Debora

Fid likes this.
  7. Sam Hills

Sam Hills Member

Debora,

I can't find the link anymore but I based it on the evolution of the price of a loaf of bread over 100 years. It increased 17 fold.

Assuming the marked number (6,500F) is a price at all, in Belgian Francs and the year is correct..

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I don't see an indication for Belgium francs, just francs. What am I missing?

Debora

Fid likes this.
  9. Sam Hills

Sam Hills Member

Could be French Francs too.

But Belgian Francs also used the F symbol (F, f., FB, Fr). I assume this was bought in Belgium..

10. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

It sounds like the description might be referring to "pouncing", which was a method for transferring a drawing to a freshly plastered surface in creating a fresco. A drawing/cartoon on paper was pricked along the important outlines, laid onto the plaster surface, and a small cloth bag of charcoal was patted over the holes to mark the design. The drawing would be only a portion of the scene, as much as could be finished in the period of time when the plaster was still wet and receptive to the paint.

Houseful, kyratango and Sam Hills like this.
  11. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

The old "staring upward" look was first popularized by Reni, so lots of portraits were painted in this aspect by his followers and contemporaries from the early 1600's on.

I have one myself, commissioned by a popular 17thc courtesan that fancied herself as the goddess Flora.

Sam Hills likes this.
  12. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

will be hard to find a historical currency converter for old Belgian Francs. already in the 1970s there was a joke in Northern France about going to Belgium to change FF into BF when they needed wallpaper for the toilet....

13. Sam Hills

Sam Hills Member

8244FCF9-4721-4983-82EA-DB0B175BE84F.jpeg 1E3E4BFE-4F8F-4140-837E-7DB1B9CEA485.jpeg 262B44C2-EBF6-4EC5-9E05-C1F505F08A8B.jpeg 6EFB385A-D5F4-40D7-80E0-3110A160DC49.jpeg 132B454D-3A69-4C25-93C1-01ACD999B9DA.jpeg
    Great to know and very interesting. Agreed, it could be many other settings too.

However, if you look closely at the bottom left of her dress, it appears to be undone. Her breast could be showing out in the full scene.

This is also the case in the Judgement of Solomon, here some examples.

Quite difficult to determine anything with so little to work with...

Appreciate everyone’s input so far!

Thanks,
    Sam

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2020
  14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

All those examples are shown with coiffed hair. I'm certainly not insisting it's the image of a youth but, traditionally in art, unbound hair shown on a female figure was an announcement of her status e.g. a maiden, a married woman shown in domestic intimacy or a prostitute. Today, with our modern eyes, we read it as just a hair style choice.

Debora

Sam Hills likes this.
  15. Sam Hills

Sam Hills Member

Debora,

Thank you for that very important observation. My hypothesis has been completely rejected by this telling detail!

At least we know what it isn’t!

16. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Not "completely rejected," Sam. Just providing another possibility.

Debora

Sam Hills likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted