Old furniture brasses

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Jeff Drum, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

I ran across this old drawer pull in a box of stuff I got recently. After reaching in and pulling this out, I decided it was worth taking the box home and sorting through it, and it was. I didn't find any more of these brasses, but a bunch of other interesting things. Anyway, most of the time brasses are firmly attached to furniture so they are difficult to see how they were made. I thought these were worth posting a couple photos being loose. The pull is a Chippendale style period casting, probably late 18th century (late 1700's). I also included a pic of a keyhole cover, obviously not from the same piece. Not sure when that was made, gut feel could be Victorian or possibly earlier, so what do you think? Also cast its about twice the thickness of the Chippendale one, gilding gone from the front but still has gilding on the back.
    P1062027.JPG P1062029.JPG P1062033.JPG P1062030.JPG P1062034.JPG

2. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Nice - I once made 12 of a similar Chinese Chippendale model to refurbish an 18thc chest. Mine weren't cast, I cut and pierced them all, antiqued them with gun bluing and beat them about and burnished them a bit too. Looked original when I got finished.

Come to think of it they might be more valuable than the chest today:wacky:

Christmasjoy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted