Old German Beer Bottle?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Steve Shubinski, Oct 31, 2021.

1. Steve Shubinski

Steve Shubinski Well-Known Member

I would assume this is a beer bottle but trying to find out the brand or at least the glass maker. The bottle stands 11" with the stopper. It is a porcelain stopper. The markings on the bottom are OIN (I believe), 0.5 L and what appears to be 2 hammers crossed or a hammer and nail. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

beer 1.jpg beer 2.jpg beer 3.jpg beer 6.jpg beer 7.jpg beer 8.jpg

judy likes this.
  2. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

DIN = Deutsche Industrie Norm
    normal half liter beer bottle.

Figtree3, Boland and judy like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

4. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

and don't believe every linked thing by people that never worked as engineer. nobody in German speaking countries speaks of Normierung etc.. blabla.
    "Die Bedeutung der Abkürzung DIN als Deutsche Industrienorm ist veraltet." but still in everyday use.

5. Any Jewelry

Posting background information is something we all do, nothing to get upset about.
    Nor in Dutch speaking countries, we use the term Deutsche Industrie Norm as well, whether as engineer or as someone with another profession, or even without a profession. Our usual term is DIN-norm (in our case the Dutch word norm) though, which is considered the correct term. It is quite simple, everyone here comes across DIN-norms/DIN-standards daily, in just about everything they use. If it were reserved for engineers, we would end up in a whole lot of trouble.

Surely you're not trying to tell us that in Switzerland it is reserved for use by engineers only? How would, for instance, aviation mechanics be able to work?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
  6. Any Jewelry

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
  7. Steve Shubinski

Steve Shubinski Well-Known Member

Thank you both for your insights! I really appreciate it.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. Any Jewelry

You're welcome, Steve. I'm sorry it doesn't bring you much closer to an identification. The hammer symbol could be a clue.

Draft saved Draft deleted