Old Jointed Teddy Bear

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Kronos, Oct 13, 2015.

1. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

I don't usually buy things like this, but the price was right. The bear seems to be early, with a hump on its back and a growler or similar noise maker in the back. It measures 20 inches tall. I'm hoping someone might know the maker. Possibly Chad Valley? I found a similar one on ebay that was sold out of Australia. http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPERB-VINTAGE-GROWLER-TEDDY-BEAR-/391197039960 .

bear2.jpg bear.jpg bear3.jpg bear4.jpg bear5.jpg bear6.jpg

KingofThings likes this.
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Wow! I'd say that teddy bear has had one bucket full of lovin'!!!!! Unless he's one of the very early ones, my general opinion would be that he's NOT Steiff. Might be hard to see if there's any indication of a "small button hole" in his left ear. Would doubt it's still there. (BTW...The button wasn't added to the bears until 1904) Your pics are pretty good, I would send them to.....http://mysteifflife.blogspot.com/p/consigning-with-steiffgal.html , she is a pretty good resource for telling you if it is Steiff or not! She is ALL about Steiff. If it IS....you may have some decent money!! Well worth checking her out, and she WILL get back to you!!!!

A number of years ago, my BIL was moving and having a yard sale....he had a beat up bear (NOT as old as yours!) in a give-away-pile that I saw and grabbed it out just before people started coming (IT WAS Steiff!)....sent it to a stuffed animal dealer (now deceased) and snagged my BIL $300.00!!!! From the time I was five or six, my parents were always giving me a Steiff animal for my birthdays, so I kind of grew up with them!! HA! Wish I hadn't sold most of them off over the years now!!!! Best of luck with yours!!
    Sue

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
    KingofThings, cxgirl and Kronos like this.
  3. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Is that a STEIFF button in his ear? Am I hallucinating? Photo #5?

KingofThings likes this.
  4. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure it's not a steiff, sadly. The feet just aren't right. There doesn't appear to be any holes or indications there was a button on the ears.

I read through that link and she seems to only want top end stuff that's 100% steiff, so I don't think i'll bother her with this. Thanks though.

KingofThings likes this.
  5. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

Wasn't there a British company that made really good, well loved, bears?

KingofThings likes this.
  6. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Merrythought or Bedford? Great British Teddy Bear Co.? I have a friend who is bear-crazy.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
    KingofThings likes this.
  7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Merrythought. He might well be.

KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted