Featured Old keys, useless I guess

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by i need help, Aug 8, 2021.

1. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

296521E0-A20A-40E3-9C67-DEF035B88365.jpeg B851A7AB-FFF8-4E0D-A0AA-7894906F9D18.jpeg 24ABCE16-9011-4218-8EC5-D08D10E34C96.jpeg Hi Everyone, I found bag of old keys from my mothers house and maybe previous generations.

I like the one with the lion! :cat:

I was curious about the heart shaped grey key.

I singled out a few, I curious about.
    Thank you for looking! :)

2. Msalicia

Msalicia Well-Known Member

They are not always useless. I have a old wall curio that is in the open position with the bolt out. I have gone thru all the old keys we have and one fits but won’t turn and I’m afraid I could break it. I have seen clock keys that look like your small one. The master is anyone’s guess maybe a lockbox( fireproof type) the others are skeleton type. I especially like the ones with a string attached that says “old bureau”!!! I have the key but not a bureau it fits. They do sell on eBay in a lot. Good luck!

3. i need help

Thank you, Im pretty certain the ones we call skeletons (in the US)
    are not reproductions.

4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The last two are from furniture. They get called skeleton keys as others said - later on the manufacturers got smart and just used door pulls. The darned keys have a habit of going missing.

5. ulilwitch

ulilwitch Well-Known Member

The first one looks like a clock winding key to me.

LauraGarnet02 and i need help like this.
  6. i need help

I found the lion one is for a padlock.

LauraGarnet02 and pearlsnblume like this.
  7. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

While they may not fit anything you own they are not useless. They can easily be exchanged for cash which can be used for anything, except directly for happiness they say. People collect keys and locks big time. It’s something that often gets overlooked and that’s where I swoop in.

8. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I didn't know you collected old locks & keys. Have you been following my posts on the never-ending estate auctions? Bill had a table lot full of them in the sale on 7/31. I had never seen so many keys in my life. There are 3 photos still shown on the link below in the thread below. Scroll down to row 25 but there were even more than is shown in those 3 photos. :happy::happy:

https://www.antiquers.com/threads/week-3-of-the-auction-of-the-estate-that-may-go-on-forever.64123/

9. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Also like the little detail on the Master lock key

10. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

radiator vent key

11. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

I hadn’t seen your posts. That looks like a fun auction though. Fantastic locks! I actually don’t really collect them much. I mean I collect everything. The locks I typically sell though. I do love old ornate keys. I find it easy to get locks dirt cheap at estate sales. Not the really, really old ones that look like they are worth money like some in that auction link. However people do avidly collect locks of all eras. Earlier combo locks can be particularly good. Even vintage locks and keys vs. antique can be worth grabbing when you get them cheap enough.

LauraGarnet02 and bercrystal like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted