Featured Old ladder back armchair, repair help, age?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by say_it_slowly, Oct 19, 2018.

1. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

As long as we are on the subject of highboys, most 18th century American highboys were made with a matching lowboy or dressing table and most of these first "suites" of american furniture got separated long ago. There are still some around though, this one was built in Philadelphia in 1726 by John Head, solid walnut, william & mary.
    Notice the proportion of the lowboy to the HB base, quite a difference in height & width.

hi lo boy.jpg

kyratango, judy and say_it_slowly like this.
  2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Those legs are made to withstand some serious weight or shifting!

judy and James Conrad like this.
  3. James Conrad

They are called "trumpet" legs, popular in the william & mary period. I like stuff like this, a bit rococo for today's taste, also would like to have either one of those above pieces, FAT CHANCE! The lowboy almost looks like a toy compared to highboy.

judy likes this.
  4. James Conrad

kyratango, cxgirl, judy and 2 others like this.
  5. say_it_slowly

I'll keep an eye on that, I often like Pook & Pook auctions (actually sold something there once). I think mine looks a bit less rounded on the turnings and maybe more humble but certainly similar.

(I did bring mine in from the garage:))

6. James Conrad

GREAT! I'd say same form & era, late 18th -early 19th century on both plus, the one at pook has it's feet ended out which lowers price. Add in a professional photographer, spiffed up a bit with cleaning & wax and yours would look just as good.

judy, i need help and say_it_slowly like this.
  7. James Conrad

Ladderback similar to your chair sold for $750 on a single bid today, not bad.

kyratango and judy like this.
  8. James Conrad

I would say yours is worth at least that or more on a good day, the feet ended out seriously lowers value, those ball feet on Delaware chair are new. Many collectors won't even consider pieces with structural repairs like that.

judy likes this.
  9. say_it_slowly

I was watching the auction, I was thinking it was a single $600 bid but I didn't add in the buyer's premium. Of course mine is going to have some repair too....and a new seat. (one of these days):)

Hope you get your box!

kyratango, judy and James Conrad like this.
  10. James Conrad

Yeah, you gotta add in that 25% BP, it's a real cost!
    Yes, yours will have a repair but it is not the same, new seats are to be expected & the seat rail that needs repair is covered by the seat so no big deal really, it's like drawer runners & the like.
    The feet are a whole OTHER THING! ditto new top on table, etc.

judy likes this.
  11. James Conrad

That box ain't happening, i can tell already, last time i checked this morning, it was up to 8 bids! I don't mind gambling hundreds on a piece but thousands? no, HELL NO! Not being able to examine it puts a serious crimp on my bidding prospects, it could very well be english.

judy and say_it_slowly like this.
  12. James Conrad

UPDATE: 9 bids now :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

13. say_it_slowly

Oh well....here I'll make up something nasty to say to alleviate the suffering.....looks over oiled:eek:

judy likes this.
  14. James Conrad

LOL, OK, it's a nice box but i don't have the luxury of spending real serious money on pieces i have not examined. Ruth's box on the other hand had a provenance so no worries that way.

15. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

James, what does Legs ended out mean?

16. James Conrad

Well, I would say they meant "feet ended out" and it means basically the feet were damaged/gone and are now not original to the piece, new feet have been added to legs in a restoration project.
    This happens quite a bit on very old furniture, not only chairs but case pieces and tables as well where the feet have been replaced for 1 reason or another.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    cxgirl, judy and say_it_slowly like this.
  17. James Conrad

Naturally, the older the piece, the more likely a piece is going to have "feet" issues and value wise, the older the piece the more acceptable feet issues are. For instance, 17th century stuff & earlier almost always have feet issues and it does not effect value nearly as much as say 19th century stuff.
    Hopefully, i have you completely confused by now! :confused::confused::confused:

cxgirl, judy and say_it_slowly like this.
  18. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

thanks James, makes perfect sense to me:)

James Conrad likes this.
  19. James Conrad

20. James Conrad

The chair above sold yesterday for $2250. on 18 bids

Draft saved Draft deleted