Featured Old Lamp Shade. Impossible Task #3???

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by vitry-le-francois, Jun 4, 2022.

1. vitry-le-francois

vitry-le-francois Well-Known Member

I have a feeling someone here will recognize this lamp shade. I can't find a mark but I haven't been able to look as close as I want. Whatcha think? A Tiffany in hiding?

img.axd.jpeg img-1.axd.jpeg img-3.axd.jpeg img-4.axd.jpeg img-2.axd.jpeg

kyratango, stracci, Rayo56 and 2 others like this.
  2. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Sure looks like that level of material and skill in execution.

What are some dimensions?

I've no idea if it's Tiffany, but it is most attractive, particularly the colors, and the band of focus pieces...Thanks!

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

A genuine Tiffany shade for comparison.

Debora

tiffany-turtleback-lamp-1907.jpg

4. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Oooh...Ahhhh!
    They both be some lovely, eh?

5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I wouldn't trust it to be Tiffany unless it was signed, and even then I would want independent confirmation. So much stuff like this was made in the 1970s and '80s from kits (and the far east). Maybe still today. All you really need is access to those rectangular slugs (turtle backs I think they're called). I know the other glass is readily available.

6. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

No idea but it's FANTASTIC!

7. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

I'm guessin' a little bit of skill and some patience would also come in handy......:)

kyratango likes this.
  8. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Not terribly difficult to make, but incredibly tedious.

Figtree3 likes this.
  9. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

David Kiehl, Figtree3 and kyratango like this.
  10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

11. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

12. verybrad

For what it is worth, I like the spotted/mottled green glass used in yours. That is not something you usually see in the reproductions.

kyratango likes this.
  13. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I remember that mottled type of glass as being called "cat's paw", but I'm not finding examples online.

14. vitry-le-francois

vitry-le-francois Well-Known Member

thx for all the replies. I will try to get better pics with more details.

15. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Gad zeeks-There surely are some fine Tiffany Repros out there.Tiffany was the main inspiration for all the early 'Hippie' Crafters of the 60's and 70's-some who turned out to be superb artisans themselves. My Great Aunt's Aunt had about 7 or 8 original Louis Comfort's in her mansion when she passed in the early 60's (also abt a 1000 dolls & tons of old Ethnographic/Tribal Items . There was a sterling silver chandelier that My Great Aunt hung in the foyer of their very nice but comparatively modest ranch-style home.It actually fit-in because she had such superb taste.

16. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Brad, in looking at that site (based in Germany) I see that they make repros of Tiffany lamps, and also repair authentic ones. Their home page says

"Professional Tiffany Lamps manufacturing, restoration and repair. We use long lost old working methods of Tiffany-Studios New York only we have rediscovered. Please find lots of pictures in our Tiffany lamps gallery. E-mail orders are welcome at any time. We ship worldwide at reasonable price."
    https://tiffany-lamps.com/category/tiffany-lamps/geometric-designs/

"Since more than 25 years, we create extraordinary reproductions of Tiffany lamp designs for our customers worldwide, including architects, interior designers and individuals that appreciate Tiffany Studios work, but who do not wish to pay the incredibly high prices that original antique lamps command. Please visit our Tiffany Lamps gallery to see our range of table lamps, floor lamps, hanging fixtures and bronze lamp bases."

Another paragraph repeats the idea that they repair original Tiffany lamps as well. https://tiffany-lamps.com/

dgbjwc and komokwa like this.
  17. JunkshopJim

JunkshopJim Active Member

The genuine tiffany lamp image is an unfair comparison as it is illuminated and undoubtedly faffed around with, using photoshop.

BoudiccaJones likes this.
  18. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Vitry- Might be worth finding a reputable
    expert (Museum,Very Well Respected Gallery,etc),to have a look at it.Prob have to do it in person,with very lightly invasive techniques.But then a true Tiffany expert might be able to work from really hi-quality pics ? Wouldn't it be a hoot if it for real-take that 1st Dibs !

19. verybrad

In reading more carefully, I do think the lamp I posted is one of their reproductions. They do have a page of original lamps but this style does not appear in it. Mea culpa! :sorry:

I have looked at several authetic examples now and find a bit of variation in this shade. Here is one with the spotted glass with an excellent close-up photo and another of the shade marking.

Tiffany Studios, New York, "Turtleback" Table Lamp – Lofty Marketplace

Last edited: Jun 14, 2022
    Figtree3 likes this.
  20. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

It's all good! The information you share here contributes greatly to the Antiquers site. :)

verybrad likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted