Featured Old letters behind old fireplace, Rochester, Kent

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by SpaceMan_1983, Dec 21, 2018.

1. SpaceMan_1983

SpaceMan_1983 New Member

20181221_205231.jpg 20181221_205255.jpg 20181221_205448.jpg 20181221_205506.jpg 20181221_205543.jpg 20181221_205530.jpg 20181221_205343.jpg 20181221_205558.jpg 20181221_205639.jpg I was removing an old fireplace surrounded from a house next to Rochester castle, Kent, and these papers fell from behind, can anyone help with information please

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

NEATO !!!!!

like the builder who bought too many invoices for the 20's.....

luv the handwriting...

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

i had a powder room/toilet build on the ground floor of my old early 1900's westmount home...
    before they closed up the walls........I stuffed all kinds of weird stuff laying nicely on the beams.....:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

4. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Very cool, spaceman. I love the design and typography on old forms and other ephemera. Non-computer-generated perfect.

Welcome to the forum

5. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Nice treasure trove. There are dates in 1919 and 1930 written in two documents. The ticket for Tuesday, January 18th was for neither of those years. I wonder whether the connection can be determined... a lot of work to do so, possibly.

Welcome, @SpaceMan_1983 --

6. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Welcome to the Forum, Spaceman! :)

Christmasjoy likes this.
  7. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

WELCOME Spaceman !!! ... Joy.

i need help likes this.
  8. mmarco102

mmarco102 Well-Known Member

Welcome, do you realize that in the very near future those hand written letters are going to look like hieroglyphics to most of todays thumb writers :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Maybe I will go to the local museum and apply as a translator ;)

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
  9. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Welcome and cool paperwork.

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  10. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

11. BoudiccaJones

BoudiccaJones Well-Known Member

That's fabulous!
    I found this packet inside my wall...my house was built 1987 and the crisps are from the same year.
    Not treasure per se but I was thrilled,I like to think a builder had his lunch and left his rubb in my wall cavity...your haul is better though :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

When I went to live in Australia I took with me some 18th and 17th century metal detected coins from the UK.

They predated the discovery of Australia.

I buried them in numerous areas in the suburbs of Sydney.

When and if they are found in 100 years time they will have to rewrite history. :rolleyes::rolleyes::D

komokwa, cxgirl, Fid and 8 others like this.
  13. BoudiccaJones

BoudiccaJones Well-Known Member

he he,that made me laugh xxx

14. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    When I had my kitchen redone in 2005 I found a 1910 dime under the window sill. It was an old protection from lighting harming the house that was built in 1910. I replaced it with a new 2005 dime and a note about replacing it. The old dime was sealed under a wad of wax. Now when ever I replace a window or door I always put a new coin under the replacement.
    greg

15. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

About thirty five years ago, the gas people relaid the mains to my parents' house. Digging up the front path, they found a bottle dump - and bless them, the workmen carefully excavated them after Ma told them I collected bottles. The people who bought the house later still find old bottles and have handed them over to me. I find bits of Roman tile, sometimes.

SBSVC, Bakersgma, Figtree3 and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted