Featured Old Lidded Pot with Blue Crown Maker Mark ID? Italian?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Thrifster, Aug 25, 2023.

1. Thrifster

Thrifster Well-Known Member

This is an old lidded pot that's been nicely hand painted and has a Blue Crowned Maker Mark on the bottom of it that I recently purchased.

I have not been able to locate this maker mark searching online. Does anyone know who the Maker Mark is and how old the pot is and where it might have been made or anything else? Thanks in advance for all replies.

HPIM0001.JPG
    HPIM7243.JPG
    HPIM7244.JPG
    HPIM7245.JPG
    HPIM7247.JPG
    HPIM7248.JPG
    HPIM7250.JPG

2. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I know very little about baked dirt types of things, but my SWAG on this one is someone in Italy. :happy::happy:

Walter would have known in a second. I miss his knowledge of Italian pottery. :(

I know someone here on the forum has his book but I can not remember who. :rolleyes:

Maybe if you edit your title & add the word Italian they might look in. You can edit it by clicking on thread tools at the top right & then on edit title. :happy:

3. Thrifster

4. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

This is very nice. A sort of naive raffaellesco type design. The M made me think of Montelupo pottery, but I dunno. One thing is that Italy is not marked on the base which may mean it's pre-1891, but again, I dunno. We miss Walter so much!

5. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Screams Italian to me. VERY cool piece!

Thrifster and bercrystal like this.
  6. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I took a quick look & if you are on Facebook there is a group there that also might be able to help you out. I searched for "Italian pottery identification". :happy::happy:

If you do find any information it would be wonderful if you would add it to this post so that it might be available to us if we happen upon a piece with this mark. :D

Thrifster and aaroncab like this.
  7. Thrifster

Thanks for all the info and replies everyone! I've spent a lot of time researching this one for the Maker Mark and the design on the pot but could not find any matches.

The only thing I could find was something resembling the style of the design on the pot some was by doing a search on "Renaissance Florence Grotesques" but that's it so far. Thanks again!

kentworld likes this.
  8. Rclinftl

Rclinftl Well-Known Member

it looks reminiscent of Cantagalli and the mark looks reminiscent of Cantagalli as well -

bercrystal likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted