Old Melker wrench

Discussion in 'Tools' started by prestoncohunter, Aug 6, 2019.

1. prestoncohunter

prestoncohunter Well-Known Member

Ok another how old is it question. Having trouble finding much info on it.

Another one of those when you handle it says old, question is how old. Pure guess WAG on my part but I'm thinking 1900 to 20's

[​IMG]

Handle appears to be peened on
    [​IMG]

Only marking I have found
    [​IMG]

Figtree3 and i need help like this.
  2. Michael77

Michael77 Well-Known Member

Prestoncohunter said "Pure guess WAG on my part but I'm thinking 1900 to 20's"

Sounds about right, we called these wrench's "Stillson wrench's" I don't know where the name originated maybe the inventor or mfg?

3. Michael77

Michael77 Well-Known Member

Do an online search, some old wrenchs like this could have some value to collectors. Yours appears to be in excellent condition :)

judy, i need help and sabre123 like this.
  4. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

I used to hear these being referred to as, "Monkey Wrench"

Fid, Michael77 and i need help like this.
  5. Hi. I sold tools for 25 years. That's what's called a "Ford wrench", or more generically, a "monkey wrench". (It's basically a "pipe wrench" without teeth, so it won't do damage.) When you bought a Model T you got one of those with it, and the idea was that you could fix almost everything on the car with the one wrench. Examples actually marked "Ford" are more valuable. Your's was probably made within the lifespan of Model T production (1908 - 1927) and has little monetary value, probably under $10.00. But it is cool!

6. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

7. Saw Wood

Saw Wood 1972 vintage

I’ve always known them to be Monkey wrenches. Did not know about Ford though. That is great history/story.

I’ve been picking up tools with wooden handles with the intention of restoring the wood for novelty-sale, as they don’t have a high price point. I have several of these wrenches in different sizes. With their weight, they feel great in-hand.

Figtree3, Michael77 and i need help like this.
  8. savwillsell09

savwillsell09 Active Member

so whos hooked up with worthpoint....i once auctioned a usa wrench similar to that????...freak sale...bid to 400.00

Draft saved Draft deleted