Old Military Knife? Bayonet or dagger?

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by antiquelover69, Dec 2, 2018.

1. antiquelover69

antiquelover69 Well-Known Member

SAM_5067.JPG SAM_5072.JPG SAM_5073.JPG SAM_5069.JPG SAM_5070.JPG SAM_5070.JPG SAM_5071.JPG I bought out a storage about 10 years ago found this old bayonet/knife dagger don't know which one,blade measure about 7" with handle about 13" long,very sharp,has what look like aluminum handle,on the hilt is,"property of" now I was told it could be an old Wells Fargo knife but I believe it's military,has an old leather scabbard,hope someone can help me id this item.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

In the first pic, think I see writing stamped on the blade. Is there something there?

3. antiquelover69

No,just property of,the other name or letters were scratched out

4. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

Looks like something someone put together in a machine shop. Is that a screw head below the "Property Of" marking?

i need help and aaroncab like this.
  5. antiquelover69

Yes it is.This knife came out of the home of a WW2 vet.I'm not sure if it's that old,I wish I had met him to get some info.

i need help likes this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it very well could have been made in the field......using whatever parts were at hand....
    i don't recognize it as any other thing...

i need help likes this.
  7. antiquelover69

8. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I think aluminum did not become a common metal until after WWII. Napoleon III had a rattle made of the stuff, which was considered very rare and exotic in those days.

As I recall, there are two processes for refining aluminum: one is chemical and produces tiny amounts, the other produces huge volumes but requires massive amounts of electricity.

Aluminum production is a major industry in Quebec because Quebec has such an abundance of hydro-electric power.

i need help and antiquelover69 like this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

upload_2018-12-3_0-0-43.jpeg upload_2018-12-3_0-1-10.jpeg upload_2018-12-3_0-2-26.jpeg

I believe that a vast assortment of aluminum handled knives were made by servicemen in the theater during WW2.

10. antiquelover69

Wow! thanks for great information and pictures

komokwa likes this.
  11. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

From Wikipedia:

Prices of aluminium dropped and aluminium became widely used in jewelry, everyday items, eyeglass frames, optical instruments, tableware, and foil in the 1890s and early 20th century. Aluminium's ability to form hard yet light alloys with other metals provided the metal many uses at the time.[69] During World War I, major governments demanded large shipments of aluminium for light strong airframes.[70]

By the mid-20th century, aluminium had become a part of everyday life and an essential component of housewares.[71] During the mid-20th century, aluminium emerged as a civil engineering material, with building applications in both basic construction and interior finish work,[72] and increasingly being used in military engineering, for both airplanes and land armor vehicle engines.[73] Earth's first artificial satellite, launched in 1957, consisted of two separate aluminium semi-spheres joined together and all subsequent space vehicles have been made of aluminium.[68] The aluminium can was invented in 1956 and employed as a storage for drinks in 1958.[74]

So... earlier than I thought.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium

i need help and komokwa like this.
  12. antiquelover69

Thanks for information!

i need help likes this.
  13. Gazz

Gazz New Member

Commonly referred to as a "theater knife" as made in theater, aboard ship or some repair depo.

Figtree3 likes this.
  14. antiquelover69

Thanks so much!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted