Old needlework?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Jtw1313, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Jtw1313

Jtw1313 Active Member

4B14F249-EA72-4B5C-8AC7-38F5C4FF3543.jpeg 4F4A76C2-5F09-4D9B-B216-AE169CE5DFD6.jpeg If anyone can help with age or information on this piece it is appreciated. I don’t know much about this sort of thing so looking to learn about it

kyratango likes this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It would be almost impossible to age from a photograph, if at all, because not much to go on. Would have been done from a pattern and didn't entail a lot of handwork or elaborate stitches. A serious needleperson would not have embroidered "DREAM" freehand like that. If I were guessing, I'd think done in a nursing home as part of a craft activity. (I'm serious.) And not too long ago because that use of inspirational verbs is fairly recent. One way to tell if maker had learned to embroider properly is to turn the piece over. It should be neat and almost a mirror image of the reverse.

Debora

3. Jtw1313

Jtw1313 Active Member

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

You're welcome. And sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear. Others will have opinions (that may differ from mine) so please check back.

Debora

kyratango, Christmasjoy and Jtw1313 like this.
  5. Jtw1313

Jtw1313 Active Member

Not about what I want to hear it’s about what it is lol

kyratango and bluumz like this.
  6. Jtw1313

Jtw1313 Active Member

But a question.......weren’t some of these done by school girls?

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Up until not too long ago, young girls were taught embroidery and when they reached a certain expertise they produced what are called "samplers" where they demonstrated mastery over the various stitches. Your piece only has 3-4 stitches and they are the simplest ones (e.g. chain stitch, blanket stitch.) Here's an example of a sampler done by an 11-year old American girl in 1790.

Debora

sampler_01.jpg

8. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Yes, in "the olden days" school-age girls were often tasked with doing samplers, it was a way to learn proper techniques, patience, and attention to detail when stitching. Your needlework is not one of those samplers.
    The primitive style of, and inspirational wording in, your example was especially popular in the 1990s and first decade of the new millennium... and continues to be popular today. I made several pieces in the same style as teacher-gifts about 15 years ago. :rolleyes: (Probably all ended up in the garbage can... or donated to the local charity/thrift.)

kyratango, Jtw1313 and Debora like this.
  9. Jtw1313

Jtw1313 Active Member

Nice information I’m sure it will help people learn more.
    Thanks much appreciated

10. Jtw1313

Jtw1313 Active Member

Does that background material look 90s?

11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It's not possible to identify the fabric from your photographs. To my eye, it appears to be a rough unbleached cotton (but could be wrong.) Given the word "DREAM," I'd think much more recent. 21st century.

Debora

i need help and Jtw1313 like this.
  12. Jtw1313

Jtw1313 Active Member

I meant the pattern itself......style

13. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Realize that you want this to be old, but it's just not. The information you've been given is correct - it's a 'primitive style' piece of recent manufacture, the fabric looks to me like a cotton weave that my Mom called 'homespun' (heavier weight was 'osnaburg'), both still sold as such today, quite often pieces like this were treated with 'aging' techniques, sometimes as simple as a tea or coffee soak...

~Cheryl

14. Jtw1313

Jtw1313 Active Member

Just because I’m asking questions doesn’t mean I’m trying to make it something it’s not......I just like to ask to learn that’s all.......I have plenty of old things lol......also it’s been said that dating from a photograph is not possible but you just did it

judy likes this.
  15. DragonflyWink

Is it attached to the floral print fabric? Is that why there's been no pic of the back of the stitching (not that it really makes a difference)? If you're talking about the tiny floral, it is a 'country' print, very similar to one I purchased in the '90s for some fabric Christmas ornaments I stitched, I'm sure there are still bits of it in my way too large fabric stash...

~Cheryl

i need help and judy like this.
  16. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Fabric selected to give "homespun" (good descriptor) appearance. Could also be polyester masquerading as cotton. And "primitive" (another good descriptor) in style. Could have been loosely inspired by a Pennsylvania Dutch design. Here's a mid-19th century chest as an example.

And just wanted to add... I admire your curiosity and willingness to learn about this subject.

Debora

images.jpg

Darkwing Manor and i need help like this.
  17. Jtw1313

Jtw1313 Active Member

Yes that is what I’m talking about and yes it is attached to the fabric. But I’m going to take it Of for a pic of the back soon. It would make a difference if someone wants to learn and is reading this thread

18. Jtw1313

Jtw1313 Active Member

I think it’s good to know a little about everything

19. DragonflyWink

Truthfully, there's no reason to remove it from the backing - would make a cute pillow top as is...

~Cheryl

i need help likes this.
  20. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Draft saved Draft deleted