Old needlework?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Jtw1313, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The backing would be called calico using this definition: "cotton fabric with a small, all-over floral print." Here's a calico dress from the Civil War period.

Debora

6b321b863b54ddd52183aea13f6edc90.jpg

2. Jtw1313

Jtw1313 Active Member

To late......lol so here is the back.....I didn’t think it was a pattern to begin with because of the uneven freehand look to the flowers and the sides being different in appearance......so what do you guys think 0DA21B06-ED48-427D-9DD2-E7F7BFD74B91.jpeg

3. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Jtw1313 likes this.
  4. Jtw1313

Jtw1313 Active Member

81A2A3FC-C8D5-4D70-9C8B-9083BB7ED709.jpeg I Don’t see any pattern lines

5. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

These are the lines I see unless they are something else. I think there is a way to remove the pattern lines. Ironing maybe?

upload_2020-1-18_12-56-34.png

Jtw1313 likes this.
  6. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Just a running stitch to keep the raw edge folded over & in place.

VERY poorly stitched.

Darkwing Manor and Jtw1313 like this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Pretty crude, as I suspected. Not the work of an experienced needlewoman.

Debora

Jtw1313 likes this.
  8. Jtw1313

Jtw1313 Active Member

Thank you everyone now this can be used as a reference for others to learn

9. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

I find it charming, with that naive Pennsylvania Dutch motif. I agree about the dating by considering the motto; "dream" was not a popular 19th century moral lesson. Faith , hope, charity, purity or some other similar motto would be expected. There is a possibility that a textile expert could determine the age by examining the textile, unless it has been stitched onto an up-cycled old textile. And I suppose by a forensic examination of the floss, that might give you a clue as well.

Bakersgma likes this.
  10. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

My mother and her sisters did a lot of needlework and I started learning when I was 5. This is very similar to pieces that would date from the 40s-50s on to present day. I'm sure it was a learning piece for someone. The embroidery thread should be a clue. Is it cotton or a modern blend? An experienced needleworker could tell you the age of the materials. Is there a sewing shop in your area that you could bring it to? I hope you realize that the sentimental value of the person who did it is worth more than you could get trying to sell it.

Was it attached to the piece of calico or were you using that as a backdrop? If the latter, I recommend that you always show a photo of the item on a plain background so you don't confuse the eye of your viewer.

Jtw1313 likes this.
  11. Jtw1313

Jtw1313 Active Member

It was attached to the calico fabric

Draft saved Draft deleted