Featured Old or made to look old ?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Xristina, May 26, 2020.

1. Xristina

Xristina Well-Known Member

Hello,

I don't know what to think about this set.. I think originally was a bracelet (or necklace) and it had been transformed into bracelet, earrings and ring.. the central stone tests as garnet (all of them), the black material is glass..
    The bracelet looks like it still have the original links, but some look new- I think the clasp is a replacement.. but is it old or made to look old ? And if old, what period ? I think Art Deco (??), but I might be wrong.. Thank you for your input ! :):)

IMG_3968.JPG IMG_3969.JPG

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

What makes you believe the pieces are not in their original forms? There could be some repairs. Absolutely no marks anywhere? What does the other part of the bracelet clasp look like?

3. Xristina

Because the ring & the earrings have those shiny components (they are glued) and the bracelet looks like it was made from different parts (some shinier than the rest)..
    No marks at all, here is the clasp.. thank you !

IMG_4009.JPG IMG_4010.JPG

4. Bronwen

Think you're right that the set has been worked over, rehabilitated, you might say. I am seeing correctly that the decorative panels of the earrings & the ring are a little smaller than those of the bracelet? In that case, it doesn't seem likely they were ever all part of a single necklace. The metal looks like stamped brass & you say the black material that shows through from inside is glass, so I would have to question whether the red cabochons are actually garnet. Not impossible, just something to check very carefully. The toggle clasp could be a replacement, although it does not stand out as glaringly new. This is really outside my area; my surmises may not have much value. My sense is that the original components are European, maybe Czech, that someone updated the earring clips, replaced the ring shank or made a ring from what could have been a little brooch & made needed repairs to the bracelet. Hope some of the others share their thoughts & knowledge.
    @Any Jewelry @kyratango @Hollyblue @Ownedbybear

5. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Stunning set, I agree with all your points, and cannot help more, costume is not my forte:sorry:

6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

1920s or 1930s Czech/Bohemian and I agree the clips and ring back were added on.They look 60s or 70s- I've still got craft bits that are identical from then. That stirrup shaped clasp thing is later. Would have had a ring and bolt type clasp. I don't think the bracelet has been changed much. I think the other panels were part of a necklace which had a chain and those were on it. Have a good look and see if there's signs of fixings being removed.

7. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

So there are black glass squares inside the brass? Almost looks like the black glass is patterned, too. Am I seeing that correctly? (Or is it crackling? I just see lines in a few pictures.)

Have to think with that kind of construction this positively has age, I would even ask myself if it could be 19C.

Does look like the earrings and ring have more modern components.

I would hang on to this until you find out exactly what you have. Very nice.

Last edited: May 27, 2020
    kyratango and scoutshouse like this.
  8. Bronwen

I see it as having a simple scored design toward the edges, in sort of a deco way.

Xristina likes this.
  9. Xristina

I've measured them and they have the same size, that's why I thought they were part of a necklace.. but I don't see signs of fixing removed..

I think that the clasp for the bracelet had been added later and who did the job was thoroughly enough to look for something similar in color/style.. the long bar close to the clasp and the clasp don't match in color and they don't match the color of the bracelet either.. ;)

The black squares have patterns, at the beginning I thought they're cracks too.. thank you, it is an interesting construction for sure ! :)

kyratango and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted