Old pewter mark

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Graye01, Oct 10, 2021.

1. Graye01

Graye01 New Member

Screenshot 2021-10-10 at 16.48.42.jpg in amongst all the strange little items I've inherited from my mother is an old pewter spoon. I'd like to give it to my grand daughter in connection with a history project and wonder if I can find out a bit more about it before passing it on? I know it's been in my mother's possession for many, many years although I have no idea where it came from. It's about the size of a soup spoon and has a crown over a rose with what seem to be the initials H & B on either side.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2021
    Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I would suggest that yes, definitely H B, but what they stand for is not for me to say....there are hints of other markings others may be able to help you with as well.....the inverse is on top.....sometimes helps to show up what not may be easily visible.....original below for comparison.....hope it helps a bit! Also looks like there may be a faint flag there as well....but that's NOT a definite!

Screenshot 2021-10-10-EDITED COMPARIS.jpg

Just adding an enlargement of the crest area in case it might help.....

LETTERS-CREST-standard-scale-2_00x-gigapixel.jpg

Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
    komokwa likes this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Probably English, but more research will be required.

Aquitaine likes this.
  4. Bakersgma

Now leaning toward German or Dutch.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  5. Bakersgma

6. Graye01

Graye01 New Member

Those photos are amazing, thanks for that! I'll see what I can find on that link. I appreciate your help.

7. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I don't know if these are your marks or not. They are from Poinçons d'Etain by Tardy. The top one and the bottom one are both H_B with something in the center. I can't tell if anything is in yours in the center but perhaps they are a lead. Henri de Bercker, Henri Bercker of Lille, France.
    20211010_141516.jpg

Bakersgma and komokwa like this.
  8. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

pic needed of the whole spoon. top and bottom.
    sometimes the place of the mark and the form of the spoon help as well.
    from the dark color of the pewter and the scissures near the bowl it's clearly VERY tired and probably before 1700.