Featured Old photo, Masonic? Greek Orthodox?

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Gatortail, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Gatortail

Gatortail Active Member

Naw, you don't want what's left over. We'll say, its' timeframe has passed....

Was good though.

2. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I'm seeing some kind of performance group. Hubby is a Mason and says it's not Masonic. Could be Odd Fellows. I did an inventory for a local Odd Fellows group and they wear some weirdo costumes. None like this, though. I see from right to left, a Swami in a turban, a guy who could be a Roman soldier (?), a Manchurian dude, a king and another king. The guys in the back could be dressed as middle Eastern guys - just because the 'dresses' are short, doesn't mean they didn't just use whatever costumes were in stock. Think about djellebahs.

scoutshouse and Figtree3 like this.
  3. Gatortail

Gatortail Active Member

Ne
    Never heard of Oddfellows before. Just looked up the wiki. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odd_Fellows
    I like what it says about what their mission statement is. Nothing against Masons, I know plenty, but around here there are lots of members to that club that imo do immoral things (falsify business documents) and do so just to be able to hide behind the good name and reputation of Masonry. had thought about petitioning to joins but those folks left a bad taste to the tongue for me to want to be associated with them, even if through the Af&M. A shame imo that masonry has been abused in this manor.

scoutshouse likes this.
  4. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Bev, I was hoping you'd drop by this thread, since I knew that you know something about Masons and other organizations.

By the way, around here the Odd Fellows host ham dinners for the general public, and things like that. They are located in a very old brick house that I really like a lot from the outside. Unfortunately, the inside is not kept in historically correct status...lots of wood paneling and dropped ceilings. Besides those dinners, I have no idea what they do. Have been inside their building only once, during a Christmas open house.

scoutshouse likes this.
  5. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

I'm with anyone who thinks it's a portrait of a fraternal organization - I'm still seeing the back row garments as something *like* Mormon underclothes, they have a specific history and purpose to this group. Covering of head and bare feet both signal humility.

I don't think they're dressed as bakers... :) JMO

Attached Files:

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  6. Bev aka thelmasstuff

The Odd Fellows use magic lantern slide shows when they have an initiate. They're all Biblical. There are costumes from various Bible stories. I really don't know what it includes, but I saw the costumes. They don't wear a lot of regalia like the Masons do.

scoutshouse and Figtree3 like this.
  7. Bev aka thelmasstuff

8. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

#Gatortail

You never said if there was any kind of cabinet card, marking on the bottom or what else it was with when you found it? Probably nuthin' - but had to ask. :)

9. Wanttoknow

Wanttoknow Well-Known Member

Maybe they are patients of mental hospital (house) and all people at the front in costumes - exact what each of them is thinking what famous person he is! Look at the people at the back: if I am right, the second from the left without shoes and all of them in white robes. Also it looks like all of them are bald - what is also normal for clinics long time ago. :bookworm:

scoutshouse likes this.
  10. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    It was normal for clinics to shave patient's heads to get rid of lice. Other areas were also shaved but the photos do not show that.:rolleyes:
    greg

11. Brenda Anna

Brenda Anna Well-Known Member

That was my first thought, too. If there were a few ladies to be found, I'd think they just got finished with a Gilbert & Sullivan operetta.

scoutshouse and yourturntoloveit like this.
  12. Brenda Anna

Brenda Anna Well-Known Member

He looks like a salty seafaring fellow.

scoutshouse likes this.
  13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

those guys still look like bakers....

14. Gatortail

Gatortail Active Member

I'm baking right now :-D

scoutshouse likes this.
  15. Gatortail

Gatortail Active Member

I'll open it up. What should I be looking for?

scoutshouse likes this.
  16. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Look for a photographer's imprint, and writing on front or back in pencil or pen... even if writing has been erased you can sometimes hold it at an angle and read it. Just any clues at all. If it is mounted on a card, if you could post a picture of the whole thing here I might be able to give a general idea of when it was made. (Edited because you mentioned in an earlier post that it is not mounted on a card...)

If not mounted on a card, still look for writing. Is the surface of the image glossy or matte?

These are all ideas to help date it. Photographer information may help to locate it and writing can help with a lot of things.

scoutshouse likes this.
  17. Gatortail

Gatortail Active Member

Yes Ma'am. I'll report back shortly. Am making a white bean chili and need some serrano peppers before it's all cooked out. 45 minutes roughly for reply.

scoutshouse and yourturntoloveit like this.
  18. Gatortail

Gatortail Active Member

pics of outside back (writing in pencil might be inverted. would translate either way), pics of inside backing paper, opposite side inside backing paper (touches the back of photo), and back of actual photo paper.

Attached Files:

19. Gatortail

Gatortail Active Member

and my chili as well...

Attached Files:

yourturntoloveit and quirkygirl like this.
  20. Gatortail

Gatortail Active Member

final product

Attached Files:

Bev aka thelmasstuff likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted