Old pitcher, probably plate ?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by coreya, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Huntingtreasure

Huntingtreasure Well-Known Member

05AF0C7B-3BB5-4BA9-9D36-C1847ED33404.jpeg Coreya,
    Can you compare bottom pic here to yours and post them together like before?

2. coreya

coreya Well-Known Member

sure here they are, It was tough to get a decent blowup of the one without losing all detail. The pelican mark does look the same.
    compare (2).jpg
    Mon Apr 30 17-27-11 (2).jpg

Huntingtreasure likes this.
  3. Huntingtreasure

Can you read the one on top picture, most right side? Is that a P or an S and what’s the word beneath?

4. coreya

coreya Well-Known Member

It looks like a POH and the word underneath looks like it starts with STA?????. Need a better pic to start with as the closer you get the more pixelated it becomes.

compare (3).jpg

5. Huntingtreasure

I will try to find another pic, it took awhile to find this one. I think it starts ST (maybe for saint)
    Then a “star” then triane?
    I think there are stars between the POH.
    Maybe it’s Pt for port as in navy?
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/493466134/1924-cocktail-shaker-france-art-deco?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=metal blanc&ref=sr_gallery-1-42#
    Of course, yours does not have all these same markings, and I don’t know where this info came from. Maybe @Bakersgma has some ideas.

Last edited: May 1, 2018
  6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I can't see the details of the new pictures well enough to comment.

EDIT - In general I still things about these marks that are consistent with French silverplate - square maker's mark and square with any appropriate number (in this case 24) to represent the amount of silver used in the plating.

7. Huntingtreasure

I just read the descrition on ad again. It says metalbanc.

8. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Metalblanc. One of the names for a non-silver alloy substitute - like nickel or german silver, alpacca, etc.

Figtree3 and Huntingtreasure like this.
  9. Huntingtreasure

4EB3CBFD-97A1-413D-8A28-99B38F82C3C7.png @coreya
    I found this info re what you said about the navy :

Hello, the society S.O.H. was a goldsmith manufacturer of cookware and kitchen utensils. For copper pots, they were often plated with silver. They made for the French Navy and for great restaurants and houses large Fame. I can say that the material was of very good quality. Beautiful copper. We often find the name of the store, restaurant, or other engraved in large letters on the pans. It is very rare and historically interesting. I already received pans S.O.H. coming from the steamer "LE FRANCE", from big Parisian restaurant or restaurants from Cote d'Azur in the south of France. Take care of this material and use it with light cooking. Without overheating and always with wooden accessories for stirring. It would be a pity to damage inside if it is silver. With delicacy you keep long! To all Copper Lovers!
    This was from Chowhound.
    I then looked at copper pots by SOH and found the above photo.
    I would rule out ocean liners as the is usually an anchor or something.
    Evindently SOH is not a silvermaker, I read some of the cookware is silver plated.
    I would imagine this is the connection. I will keep looking.

SBSVC and coreya like this.
  10. Huntingtreasure

Thank you!

11. coreya

coreya Well-Known Member

What great info and many thanks for the effort into the research!!:cigar::cigar::cigar:

Draft saved Draft deleted