Old Platform Rocker Value

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by BrianB, May 30, 2016.

1. BrianB

BrianB New Member

Hello all,
    New here and attempting to put a value on an old platform rocker that a friend is looking to sell.
    I've attached a few pics for help. It's in pretty good condition and has been in their family for a long time.
    I looked it over completely and there are no identifying name plates or markings as to manufacturer, or perhaps I am not looking in the right place.
    I've been doing some poking on the internet but I felt it best for me to reach out to those much more knowledgeable than me.
    I appreciate in advance any assistance the members here can provide.
    Thank you,
    Brian photo 1.JPG photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG photo 5.JPG photo 1.JPG

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

When it comes to "brown wood" around here, my opinion around here is generally Good Luck With That. It's Victorian, probably circa 1900 is my guess, and here it doesn't go for much. If I were putting it out at an estate sale I'd put $125 on it and take the first $75 that came along. The local Restore would price it even lower. Brad may know more, and know more about values.

3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Just a guess , but an 1870's - 80's platform rocker . It sort of looks eastlake-ish . Is that the original upholstery ? If so , its in pretty good condition ! It all depends on where you are that will determine price . This style doesn't seem to move in my area ( n. fla ) , so I agree with Evelyb on price range . Wich is a pity because this is some nice stuff .

4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Here in CA where I am, rocking chairs in general are a no sale.

Back in the 1980s-90s all the young mothers were buying them. That phase seems to have passed.

5. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Hope no one takes me to task for saying this but . . .

I sometimes wonder if chairs with "moving parts" are a "worry" for people nowadays because of the "possibility" that a child may get his/her hands or feet or maybe even head injured by the chair when it is in motion or even when standing still.

Funny thing about the "good old days" -- my eldest aunt when she was very young got her head caught in between the back slats of a chair. Grandpa sawed/removed one of the slats and freed her head from the back of the chair. The chair was then repaired but it was always known as "the chair Elsie got her head stuck in." :rolleyes:

cxgirl likes this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Well if some mothers today can't keep an eye on their kids at the Zoo....I don't see how a rocking chair is going to worry them..:oops:

7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Late 19th century. Maybe birch or maple. What the others said about value is right on. Seems to have decent upholstery so someone may want it.

8. BrianB

BrianB New Member

Hey, thanks for all the replies, folks!
    I agree that we may be able to fetch $100 or so for the chair.
    I do believe the upholstery is original and it is in pretty good shape.
    I also agree that it does have an Eastlake-ish look, based on my short time searching the internet.
    I'm going to put it up on craigslist for $200 or so and see what happens.
    Might be high but I'll see what kind of responses I get there.
    We are in CT so that old, English look may be popular here.

Again, thanks for the assistance!

Now that I'm a member here, I'm sure I'll have more items to share with the community.
    I've got a few old toys, nothing in great condition since as kids in the late 60's, we took them right out of the box and put them thru the ringer.
    Boy, do I wish I had some foresight back then!

9. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Upholstery is nicely done but not original.

10. BrianB

BrianB New Member

OK, thanks for that info.

Draft saved Draft deleted