Featured OLD QUILTS - Help, please!

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by GaleriaGila, Nov 29, 2015.

1. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

NOW LOOK WHAT Y'ALL MADE ME DO!

Local Sunday afternoon garage sale... ran across these two, all bundled up in piles of other quilts and bedding stuff, the rest of which I judged to be newish. Offered 25 bucks for both; the lady countered with 30, and they were mine.

I promised myself I was only going to dabble in art pieces, but as I'm looking around, I keep seeing other stuff that, well, needs to go somewhere else. They are not my taste in décor, so I would like to unload them, but I'm nervous about describing/selling them, shipping them. Are they worth trying to sell? I researched some possibilities, but it looks like some real expertise and experience is needed to determine values. Help, please?

Both are about 6 x 5 feet.

#1. Nice condition, minor blotches, the tiniest stitching. Seems to be a lot of names. Dated 1952. No clue as to the occasion.
    #2. Not very nice condition. Close-ups of the frayed edges and stains, but it seems intact to me. Overall, it doesn't seem as skillfully done to me. Also, it is lighter in weight.

Attached Files:

• q1.jpg
      q1.jpg
      File size:
      381.7 KB
      Views:
    • q2.jpg
      q2.jpg
      File size:
      166.3 KB
      Views:
    • q3.jpg
      q3.jpg
      File size:
      396 KB
      Views:
    • q4.jpg
      q4.jpg
      File size:
      231.8 KB
      Views:
    • q5.jpg
      q5.jpg
      File size:
      306.9 KB
      Views:
    • q6.jpg
      q6.jpg
      File size:
      308.7 KB
      Views:
  2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

I've no clue of value.
    Do the names and dates seem like they are birth years for the kids?

GaleriaGila likes this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Not kids. A group project. Each woman would make a square and embroider her name on it. May have been for a church fair or some other fund raising effort. I think it's darling!

4. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

I *think* the first is what's called a "memory quilt".
    they were sometimes pieced together with bits of fabric from dressmaking or clothes of different people, and then signed by them. Usually, the signatures were then embroidered.

I can't tell if the second is a pieced quilt (coverlet?) or if it is appliquéd.

GaleriaGila and KingofThings like this.
  5. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

Or maybe what Bakers said. :)

6. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Thanks! Values? Ball park? If they aren't very valuable, I would give them away to somebody here who would pay shipping. All I knew was that they needed to be rescued!

There are only a few dates, and they're all 1952.

KingofThings likes this.
  7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The one with the names looks like an album quilt or autograph quilt or memory quilt; they have a lot of names. They're usually done as mentioned as a fundraiser or as a big gift for someone. The other was a royal pain in the neck to make. I have a friend who does paper piecing, but that's too old; it's probably straight up hear-tearer patchwork or an applique. They'd both have an audience, but I've never had a lot of luck getting huge money out of quilts. You'll double up easily on them, but how much more...dunno. I'd find a quilting group either locally or on line and see if anyone can name that pattern. It'll sell for more if you know what the design is called. Damaged quilts sell to crafters who take them apart or cut them up, so even with frayed edges odds are someone's going to want that. I quilt myself, but most of what I do is from patterns in my head instead of a book.

8. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

THANK YOU ALL!

KingofThings likes this.
  9. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

OH!!!! I want!!!!!!!

GaleriaGila likes this.
  10. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Stay tuned, Kingsie!

KingofThings likes this.
  11. Jen and George

Jen and George Well-Known Member

As creative as you are, you should use the more worn one to make something new. Check out the quilt crafts on Pinterest.

KingofThings and GaleriaGila like this.
  12. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

I will definitely check out Pinterest quilts... I've never sewn a stitch in my life, but there's a first for everything!

KingofThings likes this.
  13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

A stitch in time.....saves nine...

Whatever the hell that means !!! :bigtears:

14. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Fixing a small repair prevents a bigger one. (Or words to that effect.)

15. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Expressions like that are why I hate English. Kidding! I'm quite sure it means if you sew nine things together at once, you save time.

KingofThings and Jen and George like this.
  16. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

17. SeaGoat

SeaGoat Well-Known Member

If you are afraid to list them due to descriptions put them up at an auction

GaleriaGila likes this.
  18. birgittaw

birgittaw Active Member

Love love love the ratty old one -- great colors! May be a unique pattern, reminds me of tulips and pickle dish but isn't quite it. Looks more Southern than yankee to me.

On the 1952 one, you can do a search on friendship quilt on eBay and see what you think. If you have the location of the signers, so much the better. Could have been a Sunday School or church project, or for a wedding gift.

19. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Thanks, SeaGoat, thank you. Yes, I am agreeing... still thinking.

Birgit, thank you! You're right... the ratty one is from down South... the lady told me that and I forgot. I'll have a look at the friendship quilts, definitely. The seller was a neighbor, so I'll ask her if she knows where it was done.

KingofThings and komokwa like this.
  20. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Like em. Not sure, but maybe if one is in not so great condition, you could sell it as a cutter?
    Just a thought and my 2 cents.
    Nice finds.

Draft saved Draft deleted