Old saber

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by Lord Chris LOL, Apr 20, 2020.

1. Lord Chris LOL

Lord Chris LOL New Member

hilt s.jpg

Attached Files:

2. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

I've put all the info on your original post.

Hi Folks

I sent the photos but not the text, sorry. Any information on this saber would be appreciated. it is not for sale, family heirloom, but I am curious as to what it is worth. My dad got it from one of the Airmen in his squadron and gave it to me about 1965. The blade is marked "P. KNECHT on one side, and "Solingen" on the other.
    It resists rust quite well, and I just keep a light film of oil on it. The blade has plenty of spring, and is quite hard, as I can feel when I sharpen it. There is wood under the leather grip, which is quite deteriorated. I have small hands for a guy my size, and the grip is just a bit small for me. The way the curves flow together, it is one of the most beautiful artifacts I have ever seen, yet the design is a utilitarian as a can opener. Is anybody familiar with this type of saber?

3. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

@Lord Chris LOL A Bavarian M1826 Chevauleger Trooper sabre and Officer Sword | SBG Sword Forum

5eb01e6d72c5e019616d3fe49b6102fd.jpg

4. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

5. Lord Chris LOL

Wow, they look identical. Thank you. Do you know when they were made? I presume from 1826 to ???.

Am I correct that the little bit of the guard that looks like a quail's topknot was used to catch another blade to disarm an enemy?

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

no, it stopped the blades progress ..... it only disarms in the movies..

Any Jewelry likes this.
  7. Frank

Frank Well-Known Member

It's very nice looking, but I'd suggest NOT sharpening it.

anundverkaufen likes this.
  8. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

9. Lord Chris LOL

Thanks, but too late. I am really impressed with the steel in something this old. From the way it reacts to the diamond sharpener, it is hard as hell, but still very flexible. Very corrosion resistant too.

10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it was made for slashing and thrusting........& well made !

Draft saved Draft deleted