Old shawl, table cover, identification?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Snow White, Jan 26, 2021.

1. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

I've collected and used a lot of these type over the years. I've found that the dyes fade quickly, even in diffused light. And although I haven't tried, wet washing would probably cause them to fail completely. If you frame and display it, expect it to fade significantly.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. Snow White

Snow White New Member

Jeez, you lot are all doom and gloom. Sorry I asked!

3. Snow White

Snow White New Member

It's not RAYON I own rayon items and it is nothing like what i have.

All you lot are doing is constantly contradicting each other what a joke.

Obviously need to go elsewhere!

4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

5. Darkwing Manor

Oh, those Disney Princesses... they're all the same. Odius.jpeg

komokwa and Ownedbybear like this.
  6. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

You questioned whether or not it was rayon. Then you got a couple opinions (we cannot offer a definitive answer since we are not handling the fabric) that it was, and suddenly you're sure that it's not?
    The rayon fabrics available today are very different from those made in the past. Rayon often used to be called "artificial silk" and it could be very difficult to tell the difference since the fine rayon threads could be manufactured to feel like silk and even glisten like silk.
    Even Wikipedia will tell you that there are/were many types and grades of viscose/rayon, including some that imitate silk, wool, cotton, and linen. Yours, if it is rayon as suggested, is the type that is imitating silk. Because it feels different from other rayon items you own means nothing, especially if you're comparing it to modern rayon items.

At another forum on which I am a trade member, Claudia2003 posted this same item and received answers which included opinions (from people other than me, since I had already answered you here) that it was likely a souvenir rayon table cover.

As for receiving contradicting opinions here, well, that's not too unusual in the vintage/antique business... just like one can receive differing opinions from doctors on the same set of symptoms/tests.
    We are each viewing your item, without the huge benefit of handling it, and offering opinions based on our own differing experiences/backgrounds. Personally, I have been active in the vintage clothing/textile business for over 20 years. My main focus has been clothing, but I've handled and dealt a fair amount of non-clothing textiles over the years as well.
    But even two experts in the same area can have differing opinions on an item.

Your rudeness implies you came here for a quick and easy answer that suited your preconceived ideas about your item and unfortunately we did not all oblige. So... please do go elsewhere if you only want to hear answers that support your own opinion on an item.

Editing to add: All that said, could your item actually be silk? If I handled your table cover, it is possible I could change my mind. I simply offered my impression based on photos. Burn testing is imperative. These brocade/damask/jacquard table covers were/are made in both silk and "faux silk". Many advertised on ebay as silk are not real silk. Yours is a rather generic not-quite-Taj-Mahal design. It's not as intricate, and doesn't appear to be as "high end", as many others and therefore may not be true silk.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
  7. Ownedbybear

I saw her other post on Facebook. <sigh>

bluumz likes this.
  8. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

There, too? I’ve not seen that one. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
  9. Ownedbybear

10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Rude and ungrateful.
    And don't anyone dare contradict me!:hilarious:

11. Ownedbybear

I am in violent agreement with you. ;)

12. TraceyB

TraceyB Well-Known Member

Snow White.....what Snow White??? More like the Evil Queen :yuck::yuck::yuck:

Any Jewelry, bluumz and komokwa like this.
  13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

All I did was say ' Jacquard '.....:(

14. Any Jewelry

And all I did was tell her how to test for silk. Which she didn't read properly, she talked about cutting off a strand when I had already said a piece of thread.

Forgot, I also asked her if the file was too big (to post), that was extremely upsetting of course.:rolleyes:

komokwa and Darkwing Manor like this.
  15. Ownedbybear

16. TraceyB

TraceyB Well-Known Member

You all know you are wonderfully warm and generous people. Please don't give this another thought. Perhaps she is a very sad and lonely person who isn't blessed with the kind of joy and friendship we find with one another :shy:

17. Any Jewelry

I realise now what I have done, and shall repent.:D

18. Ownedbybear

19. Darkwing Manor

..and I do apologize for my curatorial cautionary excesses...

komokwa, Ownedbybear and Any Jewelry like this.
  20. Darkwing Manor

I was wondering if that was really the 8th dwarf... Snotty is his name.

Ownedbybear likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted