Old steel balcony

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Desertau, May 20, 2024.

1. Desertau

Desertau Well-Known Member

I was invited to a friends property up in the California Mother load, this part of a 100 year old Spanish Land Grand with a small period adobe structure. This is patented land with rich mining history, he’s owned the property for 10 years it a little over 100 acres.

My friend is scraping together money restoring the property and while getting the grand tour he stopped at a steel structure sitting under a tree he inherited with the land. He wasn’t sure what it’d been used for his neighbor wanted it for her yard it has a nice aged look although it would not date earlier than electric arc welding there is evidence of that around the door frame. It’s all steel, including the floor and looks to be some kind of corner balcony. The tubes are hollow and everything is fabricated into one solid structure. I could see this as an industrial decoration in a bar, restaurant or nightclub and told him he should sell it if he can’t use it on the property.
    IMG_2024-05-20-150604.jpeg IMG_2024-05-20-150752.jpeg

what do you think, scrap metal or hidden gem?

johnnycb09 likes this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

3. Desertau

Ha ha, yep mother lode… spelling was the bane of my 4th grade existence, spell check my savior… most times, lol.

4. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Part of an old Spanish Land Grant-you might grab a metal detector and see what you can find.That's a really historic area-have fun,find some 1850's $20 dollar private mint gold pieces.

Desertau likes this.
  5. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Who cares what it is - It is beautiful and can be used anywhere , I love it it for architectural structure.

6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Enlarged a wee bit...don't know it's use, but someone did some nice work making it! Are those tall posts also metal??

Enlarged-dual pics-sharpen--enhance-3x.jpg

sabre123 and Desertau like this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Likely architectural salvage. In what county of the Mother Lode is your friend's property?

Debora

Desertau likes this.
  8. Desertau

We spent a couple days with metal detectors the property is target rich with multiple signals every square foot our focus this trip just to try and get some sense of the property there is a very good chance to find pocket gold the geology of the district is narrow shallow quartz stringers with gold which at least two areas on the property were mined last in 1930. Another challenge this time the grass was a couple feet tall and hiding any mineral float, breakouts, dykes or any past small disturbances.

there was a stage stop not far away we are hoping to find that location too.

9. Desertau

I think a decorator could find a home for it alright

Rayo56 likes this.
  10. Desertau

The whole thing is all steel, solidly built and heavy he says

11. Desertau

It in the south central Sierra Nevada mountains in Northern California, USA, we thought maybe it was salvage to convert into a lift for the mine and it wasn’t used? Another mystery.

Aquitaine and Figtree3 like this.
  12. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Have fun exploring !

Desertau likes this.
  13. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Looks fairly contemporary. Would cost a lot to have it made but not a lot of value on the secondary market..... but better than scrap. Finding a buyer willing to pay much for it would be hard. Sell it to the neighbor if he has no use for it....... Or maybe better yet, give it to the neighbor as a gesture of goodwill. Never hurts to curry favor with one's neighbors. Was just reading an article where a minor dispute between neighbors became an all out war.

14. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Plant flowering vines on it. I did that with a not very old metal headboard from the metal scrap pile at my transfer station ;)