Old stout bottles - worth anything?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Bookahtoo, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

I got a bunch of bottles this morning - these are some of them. Are they worth listing?
    Also, how should I clean them?

IMG_1845.JPG

2. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Looks like a small part of my grandad's back garden.

I'd say they were too new and shabby for anyone to want them but to me, anything I could have bought new at anytime in my life is still 'new'.

3. Bookahtoo

La la la I don't want to hear it. :arghh::depressed::bigtears:

Ok - thanks af.

4. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Bear in mind that I have no idea how a much younger person might regard them. My grandad died at least 50 years ago.

5. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

By the looks of it I think it would be best to just put them in the glass recycle bin. On the up side I don't think you have to worry about how to clean them before putting them in the bin. ;) :)

6. Bookahtoo

You're breaking my heart - I paid for these...........

7. bercrystal

You're breaking my heart - I paid for these...........

You are singing to the choir sister. We all have these in our past or possibly still in the garage. :oops::oops::oops::oops: Lately I have been just sending my mistakes on down the road as quickly as I can because it just frustrates me to see them sitting around.

I have been taking advantage of the selling specials where they will let you add the BIN for free for a lot of items that have been sitting too long & if they don't even sell for an opening bid of $4.99 they are going OTD. :p

8. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Before you toss them try researching the labels. Just a quick google of one label, Ross's Brand Guinness, brought up Worthpoint past auctions for the label. I don't have Worthpoint so I have no idea what they sold for or how the condition might affect them.

9. Bookahtoo

Thanks sis ...

Assuming I'm going to keep them in the store and try to get a few bucks for them, how should I clean them without wrecking the labels? A soft brush?

10. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

What you paid for was an education

If you sell that you will have unlearned

The back one on the left may be salable

11. bercrystal

What you paid for was an education

If you sell that you will have unlearned

When I buy something & then realize I screwed up I consider a success if I can just make my money back on the item. If I don't make enough to cover the cost of fees etc. then that was the price of the education & I know better the next time. :p

Luckily between my I-pad & my Terapeak subscription I have been making less of these educational mistakes in the last 10 months. :happy:

12. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

13. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Book,
    I would put them into a 5gal bucket with soapy water and a little ammonia and let them soak for a day or two. If you are lucky the labels will float off. Rinse and dry, gingerly left the labels and place back on the bottles. They should stick, if not use a diluted elmers white glue to attach them. The experence will help when you get Better bottles. These will be fun to practice on. If the insides do not clean up well pour some uncooked rice and swirl it around if you do not have a bottle brush. I like cleaning old bottles even if they aren't valuable.
    greg

14. Bookahtoo

Are you serious Davey?

I'll try a couple Greg. Is that standard practice?

15. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Book,
    I dug bottles for years and that's what I used to do with ones that had full or partial labels.
    greg

16. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Yes, You have the original bottles and you can buy the undamaged original labels, marry the two together, and you sure have a better lot than you have now and might recover your costs.
    Its not cheating, its restoration.:cool:

mymysharona43 likes this.
  17. FunkeysFinds

FunkeysFinds Well-Known Member

Greg -

A fellow bottle digger? Neat! My mom and I used to dig before she passed away... dug many, many dumps. Loved it. We had two entire ghost towns we dug in Washington State. I miss it - it is a bit more challenging now here in snake country. I also would prefer someone to dig with.

Draft saved Draft deleted