Featured Old Street Scene Location

Discussion in 'Art' started by kardinalisimo, Oct 14, 2019.

1. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Agrees, that ain't a horse, more likely a mule.......
    GOOD JOB SBSVC, it is EXACTLY the same streetscape, minus the mule. :hilarious:

kyratango, i need help and SBSVC like this.
  2. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Definitely not a mezzotint! Possibly a photogravure?

3. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

@blooey , why do you think this is "definitely not" ?

Have you made one? I have. Although mine was not done from a photograph, but just experimental on an etching. Forget about what "antique images" are on google online as examples, the mezzotint process can look just like this: spotty, blotchy, scratchy. I just couldn't think of the word earlier.

anundverkaufen and i need help like this.
  4. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

@antidiem - You can't "make" a mezzotint from a photo ....as you know from doing one yourself, mezzotint is a "fully manual" process and not in any way a photomechanical or reproductive medium.
    Photographs, reproduced for publication on plain paper are almost always printed in halftones comprised of the familiar dot matrices - or - by photogravure, where the printing plate is dusted with a random pattern of resist prior to exposure and engraving.
    Photogravures more closely resemble actual photographs as the half-tone effect has no recognizable 'pattern'.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  5. antidiem

yeah ya can use the process on photos

6. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

How, pray tell? Oh ...I THINK I know what you're talking about - using a halftone screen with a "mezzotint" pattern instead of the usual dot pattern on the copy board. I remember running across them in art school, never used one though.

So yes, you can make something sort of look like a mezzotint when you halftone it but of course you can't really make a true mezzotint from anything other than a plate, rocker and burnisher - by hand, right?

7. antidiem

It can be done. Please, I cannot have an argument with you, blooey.

8. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Not arguing! I have never seen that done, that's all ...and I'm curious -

Draft saved Draft deleted