Featured OLD WESTERN MOVIE STILLS/PHOTOGRAPHS & PUBLICITY PHOTOS

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by journeymagazine, Jan 29, 2020.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found these cool old photos in a box of my mom's things - they were probably given to her by her boyfriend Lash LaRue, a western movie actor (King of the Bullwhip!). there has to be over 100 of them!

I think these are movie stills, but why are some small photos on the larger photo sheet?
    Also each has a number (the smaller ones written in pencil on the back of each) - is this to tell what scene in the movie it was from? (photos 3, 4 & 5)

Why different numbers/ways of marking them?
    Any info would help & be appreciated!

PHOTOGRAPH WESTERN 1AA.JPG PHOTOGRAPH WESTERN 2AA.JPG PHOTOGRAPH WESTERN 3AA.JPG PHOTOGRAPH WESTERN 4AA.JPG PHOTOGRAPH WESTERN 5AA.JPG PHOTOGRAPH WESTERN 6AA.JPG PHOTOGRAPH WESTERN 7AA.JPG PHOTOGRAPH WESTERN 8AA.JPG

cxgirl, Figtree3, blooey and 2 others like this.
  2. journeymagazine

Maybe different number styles from different movie companies?
    They're almost like a storyline you'd lay out - but before shooting a movie?

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I'm going to suggest that before they had contact sheets , photographers would take the stills in a small size and then decide which ones were to be blown up to be used by the studios.....

The action pics look like candid ones taken personally...

@Vintage Maven .....any thoughts on what's going on here ?

4. Vintage Maven

Vintage Maven Well-Known Member

That’s the most likely scenario @komokwa But they (the smaller ones) could also be prints made same size from 3x4 negatives used around that era (there was another size up I forgot), also popular were the 2 1/4 x 3 1/4....the advantage to them as well, is you could make a nice larger print from them that was nice and clear, clarity. The black and white achieved was impeccable, and yes, storyboarding would be done this way as well. ❤️Maven

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
    lloyd249, Bakersgma, Figtree3 and 2 others like this.
  5. journeymagazine

Thank you!
    PS - So the photos in bar & at card table etc weren't photographed during filming, but staged like a reg photo shoot?
    Do these have any value?

6. komokwa

they could have been stills from the film......it's possible...
    I'd say they have value to movie buffs...

7. lloyd249

lloyd249 it's not hoarding if it's valuable

they hold lots of value , sentimental , retail, and what someone would pay for them at auction , i would contact an auction house that specializes it this type of memorabilia, and show them what you have (don't sell yet ) ask a few questions . see where to go from there .

8. journeymagazine

Good idea thank you!

lloyd249 likes this.
  9. journeymagazine

10. komokwa

scammer...........

11. journeymagazine

I went back rereading last few posts thinking I'd missed something!

12. komokwa

they've been dealt with.............Mods on the hunt !!!!:happy::happy:

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted